Sign in to follow this  
lincoln81

recording online and on dvr

quick question, do they make a DVR that has online recording available for 4 weeks or whatever?

the reason I ask is, lets say someone does break into your house and does steal your recorder, you have ZERO evidence of what happened??? or if a fire happens...

Many DVRs/NVRs can be recorded offline; the problem is at what cost. You will need a stable and very good internet connection to be able to do so smoothly.

Let's go big (megapixel), like if I have 4 IP cameras 1920x1080@25fps. Each stream might be about 8mbps, that means I would need an internet connection capable of transmiting at least 32mbps. I would also need somewhere else another connection that can receive with no problem 32mbps, and a computer, NVR, NAS, etc. that will store the recordings there.

If what worries you is a break in, it is usually way cheaper to install two DVRs. One in plain view (cheaper DVR, old DVR, non working DVR, whatever) and the real unit hidden somewhere. Once a thief finds the fake one, they will not bother looking for another unit.

I have a dvr recorder and also had it connected to my computer through my router ip until I went from windows 7 to 8 now the cms program that came with my setup doesn't work now it can be done