Sign in to follow this  
pwd

New IP Security Camera installation - some questions

I'm looking for a little advice in setting up security cameras.

I've decided on Axis for the cameras. I'm not sure what to use for an NVR, any suggestions would be helpful.

The cameras will be on their own network, so all new cabling. Am I right in keeping video traffic off our internal network?

6 cameras at the front of the building and 4 in the back.

1 POE switch in the front of the building for the front cameras and one at the back for those cameras. I'd like to put the NVR in the server room so it's locked up and climate controlled.

I'd also like to setup a 50" TV about 250 feet away from the NVR/server room so the factory can see what's on the cameras. How would I do that? HDMI?

Would it be possible to have the NVR connected to our internal network so the video can be viewed anywhere?

I'm looking for a little advice in setting up security cameras.

I've decided on Axis for the cameras. I'm not sure what to use for an NVR, any suggestions would be helpful.

The cameras will be on their own network, so all new cabling. Am I right in keeping video traffic off our internal network?

6 cameras at the front of the building and 4 in the back.

1 POE switch in the front of the building for the front cameras and one at the back for those cameras. I'd like to put the NVR in the server room so it's locked up and climate controlled.

I'd also like to setup a 50" TV about 250 feet away from the NVR/server room so the factory can see what's on the cameras. How would I do that? HDMI?

Would it be possible to have the NVR connected to our internal network so the video can be viewed anywhere?

I'd post this in the "IP/Megapixel Cameras and Software Solutions" since your question is more specific to IP camera setup info and these types of questions are often discussed there.

There is no harm in running the cameras on their own network, and there are certainly major advantages. Only you can say how busy your main network is and if it's really needed. If you plan on continuously streaming 10 cameras however it certainly seems like a wise move. Kudos to you for great planning.

You should mention which cameras you have. I've got a few p33 series cameras in my home. They record directly to NAS - the onboard SD works great too, the only NVR software I use is Axis's own ACC which I find works great for viewing recordings and monitoring multiple live streams. it's free and works for up to 16 cameras. There are many other 3rd party choices though. Perhaps others can chime in.

I've often thought of trying out hardware NVR myself, but for my uses would only consider it if they provided direct video out to a monitor from all my cameras. Unfortunately I haven't come across such a device.

Also, a 250' HDMI run is to long, but could work with repeaters.

One could recommend so many different NVR's. Ultimately you need to define what you expect from the NVR first, and then you will already have narrowed down the potential candidates.

For instance, you will deploy a camera to observe a specific behaviour, event or condition - who will be responsible for observing, how many people will need to observe simultaneously? How will those people know that they need to observe the specific camera at a specific time, will they be observing 24/7, will they be alerted to the condition, how will they be alerted? What will the observer need to do once becoming aware of the event/behaviour/condition? Is the target being observed stationary, or moving at speed? What factors will determine a successful response to the observation ....etc.

It is only by compiling a detailed operational requirement, with specialized skills - that you will be in a position to define the technical specification/functions/features required by the NVR. Without this - you run the risk of buying an nvr that someone feels is best for you based on resolution, or other function that impresses them - but you have no guarantee that it will solve your actual problem.