srfrmac87

New DVR for Mobile Solution

Hello all,

I have been using this forum for a few months for research and finally found a question to ask.

I need some help finding a DVR that is capable of my use within the $300 to $500 range. This is for a pole mounted camera on a telescoping mast on a vehicle. The camera appears to be a PTZ Pelco Esprit camera very similar to this (I am hoping that it is a Pelco Esprit and not just an enclosure):

230611_1.jpg

Think this for the application:

230611_2.jpg

I was not given any information in terms of model number or specifications of the camera, just that it at least 2-3 years old but might be up to 5 years old and it has somewhere around 48x opitcal zoom then digital zoom to something ridiculous like 208x. It is an analog system. The DVR previously used was a GE Kalatel VDR 0150-0255C. This DVR had a hard drive (Maxtor 80 GB IDE/PATA) that went bad (click of death) I used two different hard drives trying to get the system working adequately but one was too large of a hard drive (~160 GB) for the Kalatel. The other when put in to the system would cause a dimming/darkening of the picture that would not go away. I do not know how the recording is on it, whether it is dim or normal. Putting in the old Maxtor would fix the dimming/darkening but obviously would not record. The Kalatel also had a Compact Flash card reader for storage but several pins are bent/broken. Administrator access is also gone (default passwords and any possible other "emergency" passwords will not let me in to the menu). Needless to say, I think it is time for a new DVR and convinced my employer of the same.

The camera is not used very often, basically it is for an emergency response so its use can vary from a couple times a week to a couple times a year. That being said, I need a DVR that can be powered up/down regularly, endure long term wear and tear, good quality recording/fps, easy to pull and export video to a common file format(optional), and survive being bounced around a little bit in an large vehicle (can pad and cushion a little bit if needed). If the hard drive is included that is a bonus but not absolutely necessary. Currently, there is only this one Pelco camera on the system and the Kalatel was a 1 Channel DVR, I am open to having more channels available, and would prefer it in the off chance we decide to add more cameras. This might be more difficult being that this is a mobile application so additional channels are not absolutely necessary. If the DVR is more than 1 channel, needs to have the option to have full screen for the 1 channel. The outputs I would prefer would be at least one BNC (to fit current application) and HDMI (for future upgrades to our current system), but again open to any suggestion. Feel free to post DVRs out of the price range if they are that much better, because I can negotiate with the bean counters a little bit when it comes down to it.

I understand that Dahua are regularly recommended for their economy cost and quality performance in residential and small business, but was wondering if they would hold up in this mobile application, what specific model(s) would be best for this unique application, and if any other company may offer a better product towards the higher end of my price range.

If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to ask, and I will do my best to find out what is needed.

Thank you very much for any help!

Edited by Guest

I was able to get some more specific information about the camera. Pelco ES30CBW24-5N appears to be the model number. (24X EXview LowLight Day/Night). Also updated the first post with some more info.

Data Sheet available from:

http://www.123securityproducts.com/downloads/dl/file/id/2341/es30c_es31c_series_data_sheet.pdf

Any new DVR would do the job, I would say some Hikvision or Dahua that can do 4ch at D1 or WD1 at 25-30fps per channel. Just make sure to not get the entry level DVRs, because they will not have RS485 for PTZ cameras. If you make sure it works at 12V it will be easy to power it from a vehicle.

I would also advise to use a SSD hard disk, instead of a HD. If the DVR is used on the road/moving, you will kill the HD with the bumps.

Will-Burt Company (from Orrville, OH. 44667). Model number 5-20 906021. It seems like an older mast.

Thanks for the input. I will research Hikvision some more. Is there a special kind of SSD (like how you have special HDDs) for a DVR? Will most modern DVRs work with a SSD?

Thanks for the input. I will research Hikvision some more. Is there a special kind of SSD (like how you have special HDDs) for a DVR? Will most modern DVRs work with a SSD?

Modern DVRs work with SATA interface; they do not care if you use a 3.5" HD, a 2.5" HD, or a 2.5" SSD, as long as it is SATA. I think any SSD should do, just keep in mind that SSDs are not a good idea for recording on a DVR continuous (24/7) since they have a limited number of read/writes on them, but I think that is not the case.

I like Hikvisions software and web interface way better than Dahua's, searching/browsing/downloading videos seems better to me.