gonzogg

Hikvision IP cam and Freenas

I finally got some time and put together a NAS server using FreeNAS. I set the Quota, like before, then I config the camera NAS tab, camera rebooted, I formatted the database and it was working fine. I rebooted the NAS server for testing purpose and the cameras shows NAS offline. I have tried anything that I can possible think and can make it work. Any suggestions?

I reconfigured the NAS volume, database and share and I noticed that the DS-2CD2032-I keep trying to mount to the old NAS parameters. I have done a soft reset to factory defaul, but not change. How can I do a hard reset on this camera. I see that have a bottom on the back of the camera, but it doesn't seen to do anything.

Can someone confirm that they are actually able to get their cameras working with a 2TB or larger disk? I have a raid1 2TB array and it will constantly fail at around 40% and give the famous "unable to initialize" error. I have another laptop that only has a 500GB drive, it builds quickly and works fine.

So, It acts like its a size issue related to the camera software somehow.

That's the only thing that makes sense currently.

Can someone confirm that they are actually able to get their cameras working with a 2TB or larger disk? I have a raid1 2TB array and it will constantly fail at around 40% and give the famous "unable to initialize" error. I have another laptop that only has a 500GB drive, it builds quickly and works fine.

So, It acts like its a size issue related to the camera software somehow.

That's the only thing that makes sense currently.

Yes, I am doing some testing and if I set the quota to 2TB, it take a long time, but it complete and record. One thing I noticed is, the bigger the storage space the more data directory the camera create. In a 2TB, the camera created 12 data directory, each one taking 58 MB, meaning, just in the initial formatting the camera use 696 MB of disk space before starting recording. Very inefficient IMO.

Thanks...

So what is weird, the camera software gave me the error that it failed to initialize. But if I look on my 2TB NAS, it is still creating files...

I have 20 datadir folders for my 2TB NAS, I only have 5 datadir folders for my 500GB NAS.

After it completes the 20 datadir folders on my 2TB NAS, it still wont say normal... So I really think its something to do with the disk size and their software.

I have 3 seperate NAS devices. Two are 2TB NAS devices, and one is 500GB. Only the 500GB NAS seems to work. Pretty lame considering I bought a high end NAS with Raid5 capability only to find out it will work with 500Gb or less drives.

I also am using Gigabit switches with Cat6, so I know its not a networking issue.

I am pretty sure its a time out issue with the software and the NAS. If It doesn't complete in a specific time frame then it just shows as uninitialized. I think Hikivision needs to make that timeout longer for bigger drives.

*Edit*

I just emailed Hikvision and hope they pass this info along to the right team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to say thank you for your cameras. They are the best quality cameras for the price and I would recommend them to everyone I know if your team could resolve the storage issue with your next firmware release.

When using the storage feature it looks like your datadir folders are created based off 100GB increments. IE: If I have a 500GB drive, your camera knows to create 5 Datadir folders on the specified NFS device.

I have 3 NAS devices all utilizing NFS on a Gigabit network with all devices using Gigabit network cards.

Two utilize 2TB drives and one utilizes 500GB drives.

The only NAS I can successfully get your cameras to work with is the 500GB NAS device. This seems to be due to a timeout limit set in the camera software.

Basically, the 2TB NAS device is using NFS. I can see where your camera creates the required 20 datadir folders based on my NAS size. It then tries to copy files to the NAS device. It gets to DataDir10 and then your camera software reports under the Progress section, "unable to initialize disk".

I login to my NAS and the funny thing is your camera is still creating the files on my NAS device. It eventually creates all the required files but when I go back into the camera software it will never say "Normal" for the status.

I am a Computer Engineer by trade and work with enterprise class devices and have done extensive testing with your cameras and multiple NAS devices. It seems to be a timeout issue with the software not creating the files in time for your camera software to do its health check.

I would be willing to help assist your team with testing. I have 3 NAS devices and I have swapped the 500GB drives into each NAS one by one and they all work fine if the drives are only 500GB. If I try a known good NAS device and swap the 500GB drives out with 2TB drives the camera system will not complete the process.

Sorry for the lengthy email. I know your company is busy, but this would be a great feature to start supporting bigger drives as most people are using 2TB+ drives today.

I have shared this information with other hikvision camera owners over at this forum.

http://www.cctvforum.com

It seems I am not the only one experiencing this issue. It seems to be fairly common with any model hikvision camera and the storage feature.

Please feel free to contact me.

I am using multiple Hikvision SWNHD-820CAM cameras that you re-brand for Costco.

Firmware Version 4.0.9 130419

Encoding Version 4.0 build 121228

Edited by Guest

It was in my last post.... Very bottom.

The other thing I am having an issue with is that after the disk drive on my NAS fills up the cameras stop recording. The only way I can get the cameras to record again is to Format using the camera software again....

Anyone else having this issue?

I have the Costco version of these cameras.

I am willing to flash one with the original Hikvision software if someone would send me a link on how to go about doing it. I have used TFTP before for cisco routers and such, but never done a camera.

I don't know how the firmware of the Costco cameras compare to the Hikvision cameras, but I am using the latest 5.1 firmware on a Dyretech cam and the camera has an overwrite setting.

Overwrite.thumb.jpg.eacfdfe1497ce020cf31ea24b486be5b.jpg

I don't have that option....

*EDIT*

Ok, updated one of my camera's to 5.1 and now I get the option to overwrite. I also notice it supports CIFS. I am trying to utilize CIFS as NFS hasn't been super reliable. I am trying to get the camera to save to my 2TB NAS now. I will give an update afterwards.

Thanks again!

*FINAL EDIT**

Ok, 5.1 up on all cameras. It still wont mount my 2TB NAS device through NFS or CIFS. Gets to about 80% and then says "error". My 500GB NAS works fine. Hopefully the overwrite option will fix my issues.

Costco_Cam.thumb.jpg.3ddbd0495b9311eb299c6ff666dc88a5.jpg

hikvision.thumb.jpg.b5f91ba20c38a9e42c981c8237c6c35d.jpg

I "was" using a shared folder on my laptop called door.

I then went into the camera and set it up to use the ip and /door for the location.

IE: 192.168.1.10 /door

SMB/CIFS Username:enterusername Password: enterpassword

Worked fine...

However, my 2TB NAS never worked with any firmware I had tried and it was just basically becoming a paper weight. I finally decided to downgrade to Firmware 5.0 and my 2TB NAS works flawless now!

I have tried 5.1, 5.0.2, and now finally 5.0

I am sticking with Raptor 5.0 Firmware as it seems the most stable.

That's what worked well for me too. Look forward to the next firmware to get more stable support for smb/cifs as that's what typically use now with Mobotix and would live to go towards Hikvision.

Just adding. CIFS is working fine so far with my 2TB WD My Cloud drive.[/quote

Can you help me get WD MyCloud working with the DS-2CD2032-1.

When I goto the Configuration page to select the Storage Device it shows up as:

The NAS setup page is:

I'm not sure why there are HDD No. differences above, maybe because I was trying different File Paths or something.

Any help appreciated.

Capture1.JPG.572b41727bc4d035e21d2cff4f7a7805.JPG

Capture2.JPG.90ae3f4f199e61530e0ce74bd8f91fe8.JPG

Hi, Would you be able to explain the below please as i am struggling to get my camera's to see the NAS

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=40371

Thank you

I finally got 2 cameras working with FreeNAS.

I created:

1 ZFS volume (video)

2 Dataset (cam1, cam2)

2 NFS Sharing

This may not be the best way, but is working so far. Of course I have many questions about FreeNAS since I do not have experience with any NAS system, like:

I don't know what happens when the hard drive gets full, it will stop recording or it will overwrite the data?