TRod760

System suggestions please

Hello, please have mercy on my n00b soul.

Yesterday, my next door neighbor had their house broken into. I've been wanting a surveillance system for a while now. If for nothing else, as an added deterrent. I figure if I'm going to spend money, might as well get something worthwhile.

Yesterday I started looking at Costco systems and came across this:

http://www.costco.com/.product.100058520.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory

It's a Swann 8 Channel 3MP NVR Security System with 2TB HDD and 4 1080p Cameras. What I liked about it was the all in one DVR with remote access, high res and the POE capabilities. My attic is very small and hard to move around in, so the least amount of cables to run, the better.

I go back online today and it's out of stock. At first I was pissed, because this same thing happened to me last week with something else I wanted to buy online. After thinking about it, it could be a blessing in disguise. For all I know, it's junk and there are better options out there for the same or less price.

I'm in need of 4 cameras with night vision. I need my Driveway, courtyard, backyard and back patio covered. Any suggestions as to what system would work best for me would be greatly appreciated. My budget is 1k and under. Thank's in advance!

As of this post it is back in stock. I am a nooby also. This will be my 3rd system and purchased this one on the 5th. The order still says "order received" and was hoping it would have shipped by now.

Anyone else order? I think its a good system for the price, looking forward to the 1080P. My previous was the Samsung they have for $599. I bought it in May for $699 and was never really happy with PQ or connectivity. After I saw the promo for the Swann I was fortunate Costco gave me a refund and ordered this one. Good luck!

went back and checked today, it was available, but on back order. Went ahead and put the order in. if something better comes around before shipping, I'll just cancel the order. Thanks.

I called Costco, the rep told me they expect Swann to ship on 10/4. My home is naked until then, already returned the Samsung.

My order says it'll ship 10/4 as well. Might go ahead and run the ethernet prior to that.

Worst case scenario. Someone breaks into your house, steals everything, including the DVR. I see the system has a USB port for a backup hard drive, as I'm sure most do. Is the best backup option to just run a long usb cable from the DVR to say the attic somewhere, where the backup HDD can be kept safe? Or are there online options that the DVR can upload video to?