antman59

Looking to setup an IP Camera System.

I am in Canada. I have seen a prepackaged Galaxy IP Package 4CH NVR with 4pcs Outdoor Cameras (POE, HDMI) system which is priced under $1000. However the cameras are only 1MP, and the low range for outdoor temperature is -10 Celsius. I am staying away from this so far since I don't think it's very good. I see Hikvision and Acti mentioned. Does anyone know where I can find them in Ontario Canada? (Google sucks for Hikviaion since their address is Canada court). Any recomendation on a system that I can put together for around $1000. Cameras are for outdoors, 2 Dome for the front, at least 1 for the rear, they could be bullets. If needs be, I want to be able to identify people and licence plates. Flexibility is also important. I would also like to use a NAS device for storage, or use an NVR as a NAS. I have a decent computer, so I could use it with a card instead.

Suggestions are welcome,

Thanks.

The Hikvision domes are a good value and have a nice wide field of view and 3MP is decent resolution. I've seen them as low as $179 each. To save money, if you have a spare PC, you can run Milestone XProtect Go for free for up to 8 cameras.

The ACTi domes are better in my opinion, 3-axis, have SD card slots and run about $259. ACTi NVR software is quite good and is free for 16 cameras.

Don't follow exchange rates in Canada, but I'm sure prices there are comparable.

Thanks, I was just checking out your site. It's great to finally find somewhere that has some test results. For the Hickvision cameras, when would you go 2.8mm rather than 4mm? I was looking at the DS-2CD2132-I. I might be able to order from Amazon at around 199 for the 2.8mm. I am having a tough time finding Canadian dealers for these cameras. Most likely I will need to have them shipped from the U.S.

I ended up ordering this Today for 999 from costco.ca. Swann™ 8-Channel HD NVR with 2TB HDD and 4 1080p HD Cameras

I believe it's the same system that they had on costco.com a few months ago that was well received. I will give it a go and if anything I can always return it. Any recommendations on getting the most out of this package? Is their significant performance value with flashing Hikvision firmware on the cameras?

If you need a wide FOV, be aware that the 3MP mode has a narrower FOV than the 1080p on the Hik. Not sure why they do this, but it's well documented.

Here are the measured FOVs for the Hik 3MP bullet with a 4mm lens:

1080P: 77 degrees (spec is 75.8 degrees)

3MP: 69 degrees (they don't spec 3MP FOV)