WookinPaNub

Requesting feedback on initial CCTV Home Security System

Hi All,

I'm new to security systems (DIY for the home) and I've been trying to research as best I can before asking questions here. Hopefully with what little I know at this point and some help from the group here I can get moving in the right direction. Here's what I'm trying to accomplish, basically a realtively simple CCTV type setup for home security:

1) New house construction, in design phase, so I have flexibility

2) Use of CCTV system is for 'as needed' ability to see what is happening outside the house (most often at night)

3) My initial thought is 16 fixed focal length cameras to cover the perimeter and the ability to scroll through the cameras on a Ethernet / coax capable TV inside the house

4) Wired, not wireless, system

5) Ability to 'turn on' and 'turn off' system as needed (it's an off-grid house, electricity usage is a concern)

6) Not a current need to record images via DVR, but want the ability to add that later if desired

7) Also looking for recommendations for hardware supplier that is decent quality / price point, low maintenance, and not China (US preferred, but from what I'm reading that is a tall order)

I've mocked up the below onto my current house design. The dimensions of the house are listed, and the FOV / viewing distance are relatively to scale against the house dimensions. I assumed the following for now:

1) 2.8mm lens on the cameras

2) 97 degree viewing angle

3) 26ft viewing distance

Please let me know your thoughts on how best to accomplish this type of setup, as well as hardware manufacturers to look at / compare. Thanks!

2036090630_SecuritySystem.jpg.22f7ff924c51e105799fa74fa1a5aafb.jpg

That number of cameras is hugely overkill. A smaller number of cameras with varifocal lenses for tighter coverage, a pair on each wall, placed about a third of the way in from each side with the views crossing, will give you much the same coverage using about seven cameras.

Or, since you are in the design phase anyway, placing a few megapixel cameras on structures at the edges of the yard (fences, mailboxes, etc), looking in towards the house, would allow you to get full perimeter coverage with four cameras or less.

That number of cameras is hugely overkill. A smaller number of cameras with varifocal lenses for tighter coverage, a pair on each wall, placed about a third of the way in from each side with the views crossing, will give you much the same coverage using about seven cameras.

Or, since you are in the design phase anyway, placing a few megapixel cameras on structures at the edges of the yard (fences, mailboxes, etc), looking in towards the house, would allow you to get full perimeter coverage with four cameras or less.

Thanks for the response, good feedback. I attempted to incorporate fewer cameras using a 3mm lens assuming 60 ft of visibility (I hope for IR type that distance feasible?). I was able to incorporate the crossing views on the north side, but to get the camera number in the 7 range I couldn't see a way to do that on all other walls. The below is my best attempt with fewer cameras still attempting to have each camera 'covered' by another. Any other thoughts let me know.

I don't have the ability to place cameras around the house facing it, so I'll need to mount them on the house itself.

Thanks again

57703426_SecuritySystem2.jpg.4e4e9b0bca645d82646457a4e4a570bc.jpg