fixit9660

Motion Detection misunderstanding?

Hi All,

I bought the Acti D72 camera after Buellwinkle gave it such praise on his website, and although I'm a complete newcomer to the CCTV scene, I have to say it's a fine piece of work! It's very well made and works like a dream. As I say I'm a complete CCTV newb, (but I've had 30+ years as a Comms Engineer so I know my IP a bit), but I had it working out of the box in as much time as it took to connect it all up and install the software. Which is great because I'm a fond believer in intuitive software (you don't have to R.T.F.M. to get it working), but I'm stuck in two items relating to Motion Detection.

1) This could (and probably is) a case of misunderstanding the terminology but I thought that once Motion Detection had been configured, it would affect the pictures recorded by the Acti server software, but the camera sends a continuous video no matter what the state of the Motion Detection, triggered or otherwise. It does produce an alarm on the NMS however. I was expecting only recorded video once Motion had been detected?

2) The Motion Detection parameters don't seem to work within the areas defined by the Motion monitored Regions but seem to apply to the whole screen no matter what the size/location of the Monitored Regions. I still need to do some more testing to prove this to my satisfaction, but that was apparently what was happening.

Anyone correct my understanding please?

Thanks

Andy.

Motion detection will determine what will be recorded. If nothing is moving, then the camera wont record anything. However the live video feed will still be there to look at.

There should be some option to choose the motion areas. That sounds like what you are messing with. The parameters there are to select which areas to record if you wanted to leave places out of the recording(ex. you want to save hard drive space and the woods across the street always has birds flying out. you can choose not the record the section of the sky with the birds so you don't get wasted video)

Hmm, I obviously don't understand the difference between "If nothing is moving, then the camera wont record anything. However the live video feed will still be there to look at." I was expecting the camera to turn off the live video feed in response to the lack of Motion Detection, or at least the NVR/server to stop recording said video. So if I understand correctly, you are saying that no matter what, the camera will send it's video feed regardless, all the time? So it's spewing video data over the network and wasting bandwidth needlessly?

And all the NVR is doing is storing that data all the time, together with a set of Motion Detection Events? This is actually what I'm experiencing, but my mother-in-laws old analogue system works the way I expect???

Confused,

Andy.

Hmm, I obviously don't understand the difference between "If nothing is moving, then the camera wont record anything. However the live video feed will still be there to look at." I was expecting the camera to turn off the live video feed in response to the lack of Motion Detection, or at least the NVR/server to stop recording said video. So if I understand correctly, you are saying that no matter what, the camera will send it's video feed regardless, all the time? So it's spewing video data over the network and wasting bandwidth needlessly?

And all the NVR is doing is storing that data all the time, together with a set of Motion Detection Events? This is actually what I'm experiencing, but my mother-in-laws old analogue system works the way I expect???

Confused,

Andy.

Let's see if I can help.

When motion is not detected, your NVR doesn't record. The video is streamed from the NVR to your computer browser, software or smartphone ONLY when you connect to the NVR. All the bandwidth is contained within the NVR until a request is made to view the video stream. Essentially, the live feed is shut off when nothing is connected to it. If nothing is connected to it then nothing is streamed.

"And all the NVR is doing is storing that data all the time, together with a set of Motion Detection Events?"

Are you sure motion detection is working? Sounds like your NVR is just recording on a schedule (all the time). How are you distinguishing motion detected recordings with normal recording? On my NVR motion recording shows up with a yellow legend and normal recording shows up with a green legend.

"Sounds like your NVR is just recording on a schedule" Thinks: "ah I wonder...." Eureeka!!! The Acti NVR comes by default with the Schedule set "ON" all the time, and Events "OFF". (I suppose it's better that way otherwise it's some newb (like me) would install it and say "it's not working" and move on, or create a load of Support/Forum emails.)

I looked for it, found it and reversed the settings (Scheduled set to "OFF" all the time, and Events to "ON") and hey presto, behaving exactly as I expected it too.

MANY Thanks atari37, brilliant! " title="Applause" /> Now I won't need 20,000Tb of disk storage.

I can't get the smallest Motion Detection working but I think I'm pushing it too hard; I'm looking to detect a persons head looking over a gate in a full screen garden shot. It is asking a lot I suppose.

Best regards

Andy.

By default, ACTi NVR3 starts recording 24/7, not event recording. I'm not home so pardon the terminology differences but you need to go to the schedule and clear the full time recording and replace that with event recording and it will work as you expect. Why that's the default I don't know, maybe better to err on the side of caution and record everything than to miss something.