Sign in to follow this  
Wiring a rotating cam stand.

Hey everybody

I bought a rotating cctv stand a few weeks ago. An exact replica of it can be found on google by searching "NPC Cctv Pan Stand, Cctv Motor - 360 Degree Rotation".

My intention is to connect the stand so I can control it through the dvr software, by this i mean not using a joysticky control.

On the stand there are four place to connect wires which are labaled as "com, left, right, auto". I wonder where on the back of the dvr I connect these to be able to control the stand.

By the way, I already connected right and left to RS485 +,- which blew my ex dvr.

Thanks.

Hey everybody

I bought a rotating cctv stand a few weeks ago. An exact replica of it can be found on google by searching "NPC Cctv Pan Stand, Cctv Motor - 360 Degree Rotation".

My intention is to connect the stand so I can control it through the dvr software, by this i mean not using a joysticky control.

On the stand there are four place to connect wires which are labaled as "com, left, right, auto". I wonder where on the back of the dvr I connect these to be able to control the stand.

By the way, I already connected right and left to RS485 +,- which blew my ex dvr.

Thanks.

I doubt that those terminals are RS485 but rather switched contacts. Connect "left" & "com" and it will pan left , "right" & "com" and it will pan right.

I doubt that those terminals are RS485 but rather switched contacts. Connect "left" & "com" and it will pan left , "right" & "com" and it will pan right.

Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if this is a typo. You have advised me to connect "left to com" and "right to com"? Is it right to auto?

By connecting "left" & "com" together via a switch the camera will pan left. By connecting "right" & "com" together via a switch the camera will pan right. By connecting "auto" & "com" together via a switch the camera will auto rotate. When I say via a switch it can be via anything you wish to arrange.

By connecting "left" & "com" together via a switch the camera will pan left. By connecting "right" & "com" together via a switch the camera will pan right. By connecting "auto" & "com" together via a switch the camera will auto rotate. When I say via a switch it can be via anything you wish to arrange.

My assumption is that the DVR plays the rule of that switch otherwise how we can control left and right through the software and remotely, hence the question: Where on the DVR left and right and com must be wired?

This is an example of the software I use to view cameras and supposedly I have to be able to ptz them:

232204_1.gif

Your DVR will control the PTZ via the RS485 only if you have a PTZ camera designed with a RS485 receiver/decoder. Your rotating base is simply that -a rotating base NOT a PTZ

Your DVR will control the PTZ via the RS485 only if you have a PTZ camera designed with a RS485 receiver/decoder. Your rotating base is simply that -a rotating base NOT a PTZ

So the left, right, com, auto connectors are just empty show offs?

So the left, right, com, auto connectors are just empty show offs?

No they are not empty showoffs. They are the control connections for left , right & auto as previously described. But this is done by a switching arrangement NOT by RS485.

Hey everybody

I bought a rotating cctv stand a few weeks ago.

So when you decided to purchase this rotating camera stand, did you make any effort whatsoever to make sure that it was compatible with your DVR?

Hello Post

What you need to use is a PTZ decoder. It decodes the RS485, and uses it to drive relays, which in turn connect to the "com, left, right, auto" on your mount.

Something like this (you'll need to check that the baud rate and protocol that your DVR uses are supported. The Pelco protocol is very popular):

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-Indoor-RS485-Decoder-for-CCTV-PTZ-Camera-Control-CCTV-Security-Accessories-free-shipping/1248605164.html

And it's manual:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/download/PT0057-manual.pdf

I haven't used one of these myself, but it looks like this would do the trick.