Rossm

CCTV in the true sense

Closed Circuit TeleVision.

the key word may be CLOSED. If you are using the Internet or a mobile phone to stream say commercial security cameras or public safety cameras,to or from a control room is that still regarded as CLOSED circuit? The term CCTV appears to be a very old one back when everyone used and owned their own copper. Can some actually define the term CCTV with modern methods of streaming and transmitting? Various laws state what you can/cannot do with "CCTV" but do not define the terminology, clearly and simply. Particularly with public safety in regards to privacy, if it is to be a closed circuit, what methods today, if any, are considered OPEN? (OCTV ?)

We've had this discussion before and the term CCTV is as you rightly say CLOSED Circuit TV.

The systems are st5ill closed circuit however the fact that they are almost always streamed to the internet

does not make them Broadcast TV as they are streamed to a restricted audience.

It's a bit like owning a car (private transport) and the fact that you might pick up a hitch-hiker doesn't make it public transport

I answered this thread because strangely I have been pondering on this question recently and my conclusion is that you will not supersede the CCTV reference to reflect the changes you mentioned, since it is now deeply embedded in modern culture.