Sign in to follow this  
Wizz

8 POE switch w/full power that is quiet ?

I need 8 POE ports and was looking at the Zyxel ES1100-16p, but from my research it looks like they changed it recently and now the fans on it are louder (many say to loud). I will have the switch in a bedroom closet that has a thin louver door so overly loud fans are a no-go. I saw the Netgear GS110TP gets good reviews but specs say it has a 46W power budget. Cameras will be ACTi domes that pull ~4.5-5W each according to the specs...so maybe the Netgear switch is fine? Any suggestions?

Much appreciated.

Edited by Guest

Thanks, but that Cisco switch is double the cost. I'm trying to keep it at <$200. I am a bit concerned about the 46W power budget...

The Zyxel ES1100-16P is a good choice. Change out the fans with some Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PM-2

40mm x 20mm Ultra Silent Fans

They're really quiet and the switch stays cooler. The fans aren't cheap ($15 each), but it was worth it. I called Zyxel and was told "live with it or return it".

The Cisco SF302-08P (Rather than -MP) gives you a 62 watt power budget, and goes for ~$250.

It is fanless, and 8 Acti cameras should be fine on it.

Not knocking the Zyxel, I have heard good things about them, but I have used a lot of the Cisco's, with good results, and they are silent.

The better switches check actual power consumption per port, rather than the PoE class presented (most Acti cameras present as PoE class 2 or 3, yet usually only draw a fraction of that).

Acti has a selection tool on their design page here http://www.acti.com/switchselector that will show the actual usage for each camera model.

I have decided to this right and have narrowed it down to the Zyxel ES-2108PWR ($240, managed w/Gig uplink, 15.4W per port), Cisco SF302-08P (~$240), and the SF302-08MP (~$320). Warranty is a big factor for me is why I am debating the Ciscos (Zyxel has 2 year)...and I like the idea of managed and having a Gigabit uplink which all these switches have. Noise is no longer a big concern as I have found a new mounting location.

I am leaning towards one of the Ciscos due to their lifetime warranty and the fact that it appears the ES-2108PWR is discontinued. Decisions

*Update: I ordered the SF302-08MP. I was planning on the Zyxtel ES-2108PWR but it is discontinued and does not offer lifetime warranty, the Cisco has lifetime warranty and has a lot of support/firmware updates. Thanks for the assistance everyone.