n.khaznadar

Planet NVR - Recording picture is not smooth :S

Dear all,

i hope you can assist me in this issue..

i am using a PLANET solution of IP cameras / NVR / Gigabit switches..

i have a total of 12 cameras all recording in HD .. when i am viewing live from the NVR the picture is not smooth and there is a cut as if i am viewing 1 frame per second ( which i make sure i am running full FPS ) ..

when i am also checking the playback or the backup videos the same problem appears which is annoying the customer alot..

i contacted the manufacturer and they said i should decrease the frame rate and the resolution which was not acceptable from the resolution point of view and even though i tried it .. and still the same .. the video has a lot of cuts which can miss alot of important data during a rubbery or any unauthorized movement ..

if any data is needed i am ready to give full specs of my system ..

please advise ..

Don't know the limitations of your NVR but most NVR's use lower speed ARM processors, maybe Atom processors and there may not be enough processing power for the resolution, frame rate and compression.

If you want to do some testing to see if it's the cameras or NVR, if you have a decent speed PC, download one of the commercial NVR products and see if it does it there.

Also, is there a way to telnet into the NVR. Most run some sort of embedded Linux so you can see what's going on in terms of CPU, I/O and memory usage.

Are you viewing live locally, right at the NVR, or over the internet?

You could try enabling one camera at a time to see where the problem picks up. The NVR specs can be misleading sometimes, and based on their recommendation that you reduce the frame rate and/or resolution, you may have one that can't handle the full load.

More info on the model and specs would be useful.

Don't know the limitations of your NVR but most NVR's use lower speed ARM processors, maybe Atom processors and there may not be enough processing power for the resolution, frame rate and compression.

If you want to do some testing to see if it's the cameras or NVR, if you have a decent speed PC, download one of the commercial NVR products and see if it does it there.

Also, is there a way to telnet into the NVR. Most run some sort of embedded Linux so you can see what's going on in terms of CPU, I/O and memory usage.

Thanks for you informative reply ...

Actually i tried using commertial NVR on my server and the picture is smoother than playing it on my NVR ...

l figure out that my NVR support only 4M per channel and total of 30M.

l reduced the bitrate to 2048 and theGOP to 3 to have a smoother picture in live view and playback ...

it worked,,,but not happy with the resolution

Are you viewing live locally, right at the NVR, or over the internet?

You could try enabling one camera at a time to see where the problem picks up. The NVR specs can be misleading sometimes, and based on their recommendation that you reduce the frame rate and/or resolution, you may have one that can't handle the full load.

More info on the model and specs would be useful.

thanks for your reply...

actually i guess the NVR specs are not as expected .. i tried as suggested by reducing the resolution but I am not happy with the result.

1supposed to have HD picture but what I am getting is less than analog result-....

When I was doing researching for my NVR, I noticed that most manufactures list the number of channels based on a 1.0MP 720p camera calculation. Note that 1.0mp is still considered HD. When calculating NVR bandwidth per camera, add the main stream bandwidth + substream bandwidth. Most people forget to add the sub-stream into the bandwidth calculation.

If your streams are stuttering start by reducing the substream to the bare minimum. If your cameras can do 30 fps reduce these to 15fps. To reduce the bandwidth further, lower the bitrate. If streams still stutter, you will want to reduce the the number of cameras on the NVR. Beyond this starting looking at other NVR alternatives

BTW, what is your camera MP & maximum resolution?

You may want look at additional NVRs to the mix or alternate NVR(s) that would support all the cameras at your specified resolution/bitrate.

When I was doing researching for my NVR, I noticed that most manufactures list the number of channels based on a 1.0MP 720p camera calculation. Note that 1.0mp is still considered HD. When calculating NVR bandwidth per camera, add the main stream bandwidth + substream bandwidth. Most people forget to add the sub-stream into the bandwidth calculation.

If your streams are stuttering start by reducing the substream to the bare minimum. If your cameras can do 30 fps reduce these to 15fps. To reduce the bandwidth further, lower the bitrate. If streams still stutter, you will want to reduce the the number of cameras on the NVR. Beyond this starting looking at other NVR alternatives

BTW, what is your camera MP & maximum resolution?

You may want look at additional NVRs to the mix or alternate NVR(s) that would support all the cameras at your specified resolution/bitrate.

My cameras resolution is 2MP for each.

i installed an NVR that supports 16 Channel / Cameras .. and for now i only installed 8 cameras and i am getting a stuttering in the stream..

i reduced the Fps to 15 and the bitrate to 2048 instead of 15000 ( Full ) to reduce this effect and it seems its working but not with the desired picture quality..

15000 sounds about right for MJPEG but way overkill for h.264 encoding as most newer cameras support. I typically set my 2MP cameras at 4096.

15000 sounds about right for MJPEG but way overkill for h.264 encoding as most newer cameras support. I typically set my 2MP cameras at 4096.

yes you are absolutely right ...

but what about the bitrate and the GOP ? what is your optimal settings for these ?

4096 is for the bit rate. That's usually a good setting for 1080p h.264, as BW says. 15000 could be contributing to your problems, as that's quite high.

GOP is more commonly called i-frame or keyframe, and the setting depends.

This sets how often the full frame image is sent out, and everything between that and the next i-frame is an update of the changed pixels. Lower i-frame gives better quality, but uses more of your bit rate, or bandwidth, on these frames. Higher i-frame leaves more bandwidth for the in-between frames (called p-frames).

A good starting place is to have the i-frame or GOP at 1x or 2x the frame rate. If your frame rate is 10 fps, try 10 or 20 for the GOP setting and see how they do.

4096 is for the bit rate. That's usually a good setting for 1080p h.264, as BW says. 15000 could be contributing to your problems, as that's quite high.

GOP is more commonly called i-frame or keyframe, and the setting depends.

This sets how often the full frame image is sent out, and everything between that and the next i-frame is an update of the changed pixels. Lower i-frame gives better quality, but uses more of your bit rate, or bandwidth, on these frames. Higher i-frame leaves more bandwidth for the in-between frames (called p-frames).

A good starting place is to have the i-frame or GOP at 1x or 2x the frame rate. If your frame rate is 10 fps, try 10 or 20 for the GOP setting and see how they do.

it actually worked very well .. but i reduced the bitrate to 2048 and the frame rate to 20 and GOP 20 ..

thanks alot appreciated