PhoneGuy85

Programming and reset a Spectra 3 thru the serial connection

Ok, I've figured out quite a bit on this particular camera, except how to program it through the serial port using the "IPS" cable.

First off, what software do I need and where do I download it? (looked all over the Pelco site and here) If anyone has a copy to send me, that would be awesome!

I bought a coaxitron controller MPT9000CZ, but from reading the manual, it doesn't appear to have the preset function so I can't do the preset 95. I basically want to reset the whole thing back to factory defaults and start clean.

Thanks,

Will

I bought a coaxitron controller MPT9000CZ, but from reading the manual, it doesn't appear to have the preset function so I can't do the preset 95.
Right. This controller supports only basic PTZ commands.

First off, what software do I need and where do I download it? (looked all over the Pelco site and here)
You can find the appropriate software here.

Do you already have an IPS Cable?

Do you already have an IPS Cable?

No, but I found the pinout for one elsewhere in this forum. with my experience making cables and doing telecom work, this should be no problem.

Thank you SO much for the help and software link!

Ok, made the cable, but the software won't connect. I'm using XP sp3 on a machine with a real serial port, not a USB to RS232. I verified the cable has the correct pinouts with my cable tester as well.

My Win98 computer crashed, so I can't use it to try right now, and my main PC has no serial ports. (I keep a w98 and w95 on hand for times when a program needs DOS to run)

Any ideas?

Did you match addresses, baud rate, parity and stop bits between your serial port, software and the PTZ? Did you connect the Tx pins on the PC to the Rx pins on the PTZ - (+ to +) and (- to -)?

Also, USB-to-serial adapters usually won't work for this application. Windows tends to randomly assign serial port IRQs with USB ports and that means inter-connection can fail.

Ok, here's my pinout for the IPS cable, as found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31110

serial pin 2 to rj45 6

serial pin 3 to rj45 8

serial pin 5 to rj45 2

Your pinout looks different, is mine wrong?

I don't have a RS485 converter, I'm using Coaxitron, but I understand you don't need 485 for the IPS port. and the serial port on the PC is true serial, not USB to serial.

Yes the parity, baud, address, and protocol all match. I've tried using "P" protocol as well as "D".

Edit: just made up a cable using the pinout provided by Treborsz, will let you all know how it works!

Ok, tried the other pinout with no luck, but I did get a green light next to the IPS port to flash and a message on the camera monitor saying something about ready to receive a file.

Software still says "unable to connect" or connection failed. Is that the right software to program it, or is there another one to use? Just trying to get the setup menu like you would with preset 95.