indep1

Suggestions for low-light, high(er) resolution?

ive recently received a demo lightcatcher dome and am very impressed.

if you want i might be able to post a pic taken from my iphone of my dining room and then a pic of what the light catcher sees so you can compare...

Here is a similar youtube video comparing iPhone video with the Axis Lightfinder. Although of course iPhones have such poor picture/video performance especially in low light that it's almost a silly comparison, but still fun - if not dramatic, to see.

I wish my P3364 had a faster shutter option for low light. The fastest it can be set for is 1/30th. That's a pretty standard minimum speed for low light but it does well enough that I bet it'd be just fine at 1/60th in my conditions and have reduced motion blur at the same time.

In the shutter drop down window, if you select 'fixed' rather than 'auto' you can select any shutter speed you like and go higher than 1/30th. But it will be for all lighting conditions . That being said even my older m1114 was able to go higher than 1/30th in 'auto' just for low light conditions. The low light performance was so good I had it set to 1/60 with no problems. The p3364 is even better in low light and so it's puzzling why they would remove this option.

Yes but, like you said, it's for all lighting conditions (you lose the normal light and low light breakdown), so you can't tweak it for day and night. The auto is lost as well as the ability to tune both the day and night settings. So, for an outdoor camera in widely varying light, it's basically limited to a max shutter speed of 1/30th at night with the current firmware. Better for lower light gathering in extreme conditions, but it does so well that it could make use of 1/60th (or much faster depending on the job) quite easily.

It's a bit of a puzzling decision by Axis, although I suppose it would cut down on the Internet posts from folks with their cameras set improperly for the job claiming that their Lightfinder doesn't work well in the dark when it's really set to 1/500 or something...

The setting in recent axis cameras was just hidden from view.

Go into Setup > Advanced > Plain Config > Image Source and change the "Max Exposure Time" value ONLY. If this is shorter than value set in the camera settings it will override it and take affect instantly but you will not see anything reflected in the camera settings page.

The value is in microseconds. For example 1/50th second = 20000