drp37

Suggestions: Residential NVR System (Layout Attached)

Hi All:

Seeking your input on designing a NVR system for my home. I've attached a drawing of all doors (red) that I'd like to have monitored. I've also included the location of windows (blue) for reference which I don't want monitored as I already have an alarm system.

The location (near Toronto, Canada) is rural so there is not a lot of light outside at night apart from exterior home lighting. Mainly interested in daytime and nighttime surveillance of the exterior property and the inside of the garage. I don't really need any PTZ cameras although would consider one in the main entrance overlooking the driveway. My budget is up to $3000.

Please suggest NVR and camera makes/models. Thanks in advance.

-drp37

1177685036_Main_WindowsampDoors1.thumb.jpg.0e47b699ccef6cc020892069be715a27.jpg

How about an Acti solution?

E92 (one or two) in the garage, depending on what's in the garage. If one, then put it by the door to the house to give a good view of the garage and a close facial shot of someone entering the house.

For outdoors, near each door put an E71 or E72 depending on budget. An extra $50 gets you the E72 and a 3mp cam instead of 1mp. To save a bit of money, take about $50 off each camera and go with the D version instead of E (no wide dynamic range). Maybe something like an E44 pointing out your driveway with the varifocal zoomed in to try and get plates and faces of most people entering your property.

For an NVR, with all Acti cameras they supply free software that'll run on a low-end computer, so with 8 cams at $250-$350 each (an E44 will be a bit more), a low end computer at $500, some cables, and a PoE switch or two you've hit or just exceeded the $3000 budget on hardware. This is with mail-order pricing from the States. I don't know of a Canadian source that can come close to those prices on Acti cams.

For a different option, Costco.ca has a Swann 8 cam NVR with 4 2mp mini bullet cams for $1000 the last time I checked. Add 4 more cams, some cables, and a PoE switch and you're well under $2000.

Thanks Kawboy12R.

Would the E92 be good for night time use (specs on Acti.com say no)? If not can you suggest an alternative indoor one for day/night use as I would like to record the garage at night.

Also, I'll most likely make a purchase from the US anyways. Please suggest a retailer(s) if you have a suggestion. Thanks.

Good point on the E92 if you have no motion lighting or other automatic lighting in the garage. Outdoor cams work fine indoors so any of the other ones I mentioned would work fine.

As for online retailers, two I have spent time looking at are wrightwoodsurveillance.com and the monster bhphotovideo.com. IIRC, Wrightwood is recognized by ACTi for warranty and support. I've bought a dslr lens from BH and nothing from Wrightwood but both have answered questions I've had in a timely manner.