Sign in to follow this  
Numb-nuts

Anyone having problems with their DYNDNS pro accounts?

Anyone having problems with their DYNDNS pro accounts?

Yesterday out of nowhere all my host names just suddenly stopped working (most have been working fine for ages)

now they all seem to have stopped working? has anyone else had a similar problem?

Any suggestions what to check?

Min had been working correctly until yesterday, I have just looked at the

DYN status and there are some maintenance issues in London, I think I'll just have to wait for a response to my emails.

That could take forever!

Well its the same evening and most of them are back operating as normal.

I have had no replies to my emails to DYN support (if it actually exists) there

is just one host name remaining to recover proper operation.

There could be another reason, as thats a new one I just set up and I always assume the fault is with my settings until I prove otherwise.

This has robbed me of my free time this weekend and there has been NOTHING I can do (or could do) about it.

I hate when things like this are outside of my control because customers phone me expecting me to have

an answer and the only answer I can give is I am looking into it whereas actually there is little I

can do except wait. This is frustrating for me and my customers.

What I didn't understand was that a customer that is local to me suffered a loss yesterday so it was

on my way home. I called in and changed his host name domain reset his DVR and remote software

accordingly and they worked and are still working without a problem. This is NOT a practical solution

because I cannot travel to all the clients and do the same, it would be impossible logistically and besides

why should I have to?

Mystery solved...

I got an email from DYN this morning and apparently the domain that I have been using dyndns.ws

for all my clients accounts had EXPIRED. How this can happen I have no idea but it did.

Haven't these people heard of automated payments?

They indicated this link which I couldn't find anywhere on their website http://www.dynstatus.com/dyndns/5330/dyndns-ws-outage

Anyway if there is a lesson to be learnt from this it's don't put all your eggs in a single basket i.e. don't use the same domain for all your clients use each one for about 5 or so then you'll not have a deluge of clients calling if one of Dyn's domains expires again. I am just amazed they allowed this to happen at all.

So I will be using various domains in blocks of about 5 at a time. If all the same ones go down at onece I'll know what's going on.

Frankly I am amazed that I got a response from DYN at all they aren't very good at replying to emails

but on this occasion they managed to admit the fault and correct it.

issue resolved