n0fx

Pulling stream to separate monitor for IP cameras

I bought a system from Costco (the swann 16 channel 3mp one with 8 bullet cameras). I want to pull video from certain cameras into a separate monitor to view somewhere else. I'm not sure if I should just use a computer to get the stream or is there a box (gets video via RTSP?) I can buy that can aggregate all the cameras I need to a TV or LCD monitor?

The most I need is 3 cameras shown on one screen but I don't really want to use a computer but if I have to, then that's what I'll need to do.

If you get a tablet with HDMI out (or any video standard), you can use that. Likewise, some people use the little Android mini PCs like the UG802 to connect to the cams and display on a TV. I use a 10" tablet as a portable viewer around the house.

Buellwinkle's got a review on using the UG802:

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1049

Maxicon,

Thank you so much. That is exactly what I was looking for. I need to get you a beer!

Not as intuitive as you think because these cameras are on the Swann NVR's own internal PoE switch (the cameras plug directly into the NVR, not to your network and not accessible outside the NVR).

I don't have an NVR but have used the Dahua and Hikvision ones and someone said if you plug one of the camera PoE ports on the NVR to your router (not the NVR port, that has to go to your router also), you can set the cameras in the NVR to have addresses that are valid on your subnet, then you can access them separately with other software, like using an app on a tablet or a mini Android PC.

But some Android apps may be able to take individual camera feeds via the NVR, never tried that.

Can't I just plug all the cameras into my PoE switch, unmanaged and have one plug into the NVR? Since it's as switch, the NVR won't know the difference anyways and the DHCP server can still dish out IPs through my own PoE switch that's hooked up to the NVR. At that point, I can probably connect to one of the IP cameras through their IP. The only problem with this is that if the IP changes for the IP camera, I'm screwed unless I statically assign them and then connect to them that way.