Sirian

Considering Dahua DVR3104H or Recommendations

Hello,

I'm extremely new to this but have spent probably about 2-3 hours researching surveillance systems. I almost purchased some lower cost Swann, Night Owl, K Guard, Lorex, etc., and finally made the decision to go with something a little better. Currently, I'm considering the Dahua DVR3104H, which I can find on eBay for about $180 with a 500GB HDD. I'm curious is this a decent model? I realize it's not high-end and I don't intend to spend more than $300 on everything together.

I'd like to know of some good cameras to go with this DVR. I'd also like the system to be run completely by the DVR and no need of a PC running 24 hours a day. Some things I'm considering: what if someone stole the DVR? That would leave me with no evidence, so I'm maybe considering IP cameras with this DVR and through the cloud service iVideon. Is that any good?

I'd like to be able to view realtime video recording through an Android phone, and also be able to see video on any PC or Mac anytime I like. I'd also like to have the ability to receive emails or text messages when motion is detected, and I don't really need more than 2-4 cameras will possibly D1 or 1080p quality,.

Thanks for the replies I'm pretty new to this.

Hello,

I'm extremely new to this but have spent probably about 2-3 hours researching surveillance systems. I almost purchased some lower cost Swann, Night Owl, K Guard, Lorex, etc., and finally made the decision to go with something a little better. Currently, I'm considering the Dahua DVR3104H, which I can find on eBay for about $180 with a 500GB HDD. I'm curious is this a decent model? I realize it's not high-end and I don't intend to spend more than $300 on everything together.

3104H a "little better"? That is the cheapest DVR Dahua has had on sale for a while, and it is being discontinued I think for the 5104 model, or the 0404LF-AS model (which is the same, but with alarm inputs). So while I think it is indeed better than any no brand (generic H264 DVR), it really is not something great.

But hey; I am not advising against buying it. It is a good unit, I have sold quite a few with no problems, it is just the most basic entry level from Dahua.

If you are worried about your DVR being stolen, well, it is usually easier, cheaper, and better to have a second DVR somewhere else, and record on both places. Or just have the real DVR hidden, and some old, crappy or non working unit being displayed, so it will be the one taken away.