kandcorp

Good Ground Loop Isolator

A dealer of mine is.

Has a DVR located in one building and 150ft away in another there are 4 cameras mounted to metal.

are the connectors at the dvr touching? if so, black tape them

are all camera's powered from same location? i found that gl is produced when you power at dvr location and out to seperate buildings. may not be your cause but what i did was power them at the buldings.....solved the gl prob.

BEST gl isolator's are active baluns............believe it or not. i installed gl's and the problem moved so I went with actives and the gl disapeared.

just some idea's. when it comes to gl the book is a starting point but the actual fix can be simple and/or even against normal gl rules of enguagement

I've never got it myself. What brand of Power Supply are you using?

Id start by suggesting an Altronix or PThree Power Supply.

anyway, here's some added info on it, pelco has been pretty good in that area for many years:

http://www.pelco.com/support/videosecbasics/groundloops.aspx

"Not all ground loops show up as picture disturbances. Erratic or strange behavior of other devices can be traced to grounding problems. Remember, wires or connections labeled "common" or "neutral" are not mechanical ground connections even though they may be grounded within the equipment. Each should be treated as a separate wire and not allowed to touch ground or each other."

"Many people will resort to shortcuts and try to remove the earth ground (which is the middle prong on a 3-prong electrical plug) from the camera or the associated equipment. Not only is this a very hazardous thing to do, it is also a violation of U.L. (Underwriters Laboratories) laws. When the earth ground is removed, a voltage could appear on the camera chassis. The camera will have what is called a "hot chassis" that can send 60 to 70 volts of electricity through anyone who touches it, which is enough to knock anyone off their feet."