AlienDroid

Need advice on a flat cable to pass between window frame?

Hi

I need advice on a flat thin cable to pass between window frame as I want to avoid drilling as this is front of my property!

I've done a search here and on the Net but not found exactly what I need.

So, what I want is a very paper thin type cable that has BNC connectors both ends and power so I can simply attach to my standard cctv cable etc!

Looking at my window frame, I think 1.5mm is the max cable thickness that will let me shut it properly! And that flat cable must be able to bend without breaking.

Am I wasting my time trying to do this? Will it mess up video quality even if a very short cable add-on?

Some thin cables pics embedded to give an idea what I'm thinking about regarding thickness!

Thanx in advance for any suggestions.

236673_1.jpg

236673_2.jpg

236673_3.jpg

There should be no issue with it as long as the total cable length isn't crazy. Since this is a residence I am guessing your cable length is well under 30 meters, so I would not be concerned at all. Just make sure that you seal the crap out of that connection outside the window. Go buy some quality splice tape or mastic and leave no doubt about it's ability to keep water out. Wrap it once or twice with standard electrical tape and then follow that with the good stuff and go well beyond where your electrical tape stopped. Once you think you are good, give it one more wrap to be certain.

There should be no issue with it as long as the total cable length isn't crazy. Since this is a residence I am guessing your cable length is well under 30 meters, so I would not be concerned at all. Just make sure that you seal the crap out of that connection outside the window. Go buy some quality splice tape or mastic and leave no doubt about it's ability to keep water out. Wrap it once or twice with standard electrical tape and then follow that with the good stuff and go well beyond where your electrical tape stopped. Once you think you are good, give it one more wrap to be certain.
Thanx ssnapier

Actually I'm using 3 runs of 40 meters for my 3 cams at the moment but I could get this down to 30 metres for this cam! Not that I have a castle size home or anything, it's just by the time I've gone around all the corners to avoid showing any cable it's about doubled the length.

Not had any problems with video on this cam at all even tho it's just sitting outside getting blasted by rain and high winds. Cable length doesn't seem to be a problem either.

Thanx for the tips on sealing, was wondering how best to approach this so will take note.

Do you know if there is an off the shelf cable or will I have to fashion one out of various bits and bobs to connect to my standard cable?

I don't mind making a cable, I just don't know where to start!

I've seen flat cat5/6 so maybe this is an option, but not sure how well it will cope with outside life?