Sign in to follow this  
buellwinkle

Mobotix D15 Domes - First impressions

Finally had a chance to try out the Mobotix D15 domes. We have several D14 domes so we have a basis of comparison. Mobotix claims the new domes have 5MP sensors (albeit still put out 3MP and 1.2MP video) that are 4x more low light sensitive.

Side by side with the old 3MP sensor in the D14, I can say that for sure, the older D14's are a little better in image quality. I think Mobotix had a chance to stand out with the D15 and they are at best equal to the D14, certainly not any better in low light when set to the same exposure settings. This applies to the color and b&w sensor in low light, no difference I can discern.

The other area that bugs me is no WDR, and there's some high contrast situations that it's struggles with. Is not so much an issue with the D14 which balances this better.

The other area where the D15's disappoint is they are now 2-axis domes as you can't rotate the lens like on the D14. Seems like a big step backwards here. The only thing I can think off is this is a budgetary move for Mobotix. Don't know why they fail to mention this as it's key in decision making.

The image quality in the market has definitely caught up, and in some cases surpassed Mobotix. When you combine that very poor support response times, not sure there's a value proposition for Mobotix other than the distributed networking aspect which is really the sole reason we use them.

Like HDTV's. Soon cameras with 5MP sensor may be the standard for residential applications. And will be presumably much less expensive.

$100.00 for a 5MP dome? 2015?

I think we are getting close to the end of the life cycle for standard analog.

Unless off course HD-SDI comes down in price and can be a direct replacement for analog cameras over old RG59.

The image quality in the market has definitely caught up, and in some cases surpassed Mobotix. When you combine that very poor support response times, not sure there's a value proposition for Mobotix other than the distributed networking aspect which is really the sole reason we use them.