empedokles

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I vs. Dahua IPC-HFW4300S bullets

Yes. Practically the same camera spec wise. Haven't installed the 3MP Dahua yet, but have done the Hik and plenty of 2MP Dahua's. Great value on either camera.

I reviewed both and they have different properties. I find the Dahua to have a wider dynamic range naturally without using digital WDR. I find the picture quality to be to my liking on the Hikvision. The Dahua has a wider lens at 3.6mm, so that may be appealing to some. The Dahua does 20fps at 3MP vs. the Hikvision at 15fps. The Hikvision is slightly smaller. I would say the IR illuminators have similar characteristics. The Dahua can FTP video to a website, the Hikvision can do NFS and playback from the camera.

It's best if you just order both and let us know which you like.

The new Hik firmware adds 20 fps at 3MP, and also adds time-based profile switching, which the Dahua firmware already had (at least on the 3X00 series), so they're closer to equivalent that way.

The older Dahuas wouldn't let you turn off the IR; it switched on when it got dark, regardless of the mode setting - don't know if that's different on the 4300S. The new Hik firmware lets you control IR via software, if that matters.

If you go with Dahua, be sure you've got good firmware support and a vendor who can unbrick your camera if a software update goes wrong. Hik provides both of these capabilities from their FTP sites, but Dahua requires you to go through your vendor and won't provide factory support.

Dahua is improving and has an actual distributor in the U.S. as well as a few OEM's, so while it does not have a U.S. presence like Hikvision, it's not as bad as it was a year ago.

Yes, did notice the 20fps in their latest firmware, cool. And no, there was no option to turn IR LEDs off on the HFW4300S.