dalepres

Good POE switch for IP Cameras

I am planning on setting up my IP cameras on their own physical network(s). I figure 8 cameras per switch.

The ideal switch for this, it seems to me, would be 8 ports, all POE capable, at 100MB with one or two backbone ports at gigabit speed. Manufacturing costs and supporting older technology being what it is, having all 8 ports being gigabit instead of 100MB would be ok, too, but, ideally would still have separate backbone (or uplink) port(s).

I could feed the output of each of these into a separate NVR, either the Synology or PC-based. This divides up my network load, NVR load, and data storage, as I have discussed in other threads.

I just can't decide on the right switch. Most I look at have only half of the ports POE capable. This means I am paying money for port and switching capacity I don't need and I'm taking up space I do need for other things in my network closet.

I find two switches that mostly meet the requirements, one Netgear and one Cisco, that have all the right specs but, being managed switches, are about $350. I can get a 16 port switch with 8 POE capable ports for $150 but no gigabit backbone. I can get a 24 port switch with 12 POE capable ports for $250 including two gigabit backbone ports. Perfect except that I'm paying for and taking up space for 12 ports I don't need or want.

I can get a 120 watt POE injector for about $75 and, one last option: while typing this post, I finally found one on Amazon that does seem to match but there are no reviews. There's one that's 8-port, all POE and all 1000 MB. Only downside, is there's no separate uplink or backbone port so one of 8 gets used for that, leaving 7 ports for video.

So, summary of options with approximate prices (Amazon changes them even during a browsing session):

1. Cisco or Netgear 8-port managed (I have no preference on brands), $350
  2. 16-port, 8 POE unmanaged, no backbone port, $150
  3. 24-port, 12 POE unmanaged, 2 ea. gigabit backbone port, $250
  4. 8-port, 120W POE injector $75, combined with inexpensive unmanaged switch with backbone port, total $150
  5. 8-port, 130W POE switch, unmanaged, no backbone, $175.

As I looked around on Amazon, I did find a couple more switches in all of the categories but no game changers so the options are still roughly the same.

Originally, as I started writing this, I had not succeeded in finding any inexpensive switches or solutions (the 150 to 175 solutions) so I started writing this with the intention of asking for help. The more I dug in researching what to ask, the more I came across and I think I answered my own question. I really don't want to spend the money on the Cisco or Netgear managed switches but anything else I did would end up being a temporary solution and I'd have to dump it later. In the end, I think I'm best off with option 1. I'm really tired of hemorrhaging cash into this project so I think I'll get one of the Ciscos to start and then wait until I get to IP Camera #9 before I get a second Cisco... Or Netgear...

So, just to make it a question and a discussion, what are your thoughts on the analysis and plan? What's good or bad about the options? Any real world experience with any options that make them good or bad?

Thanks,

Dale

Carefully consider the total PoE power capacity per port as well as the total power capacity of the switch.

The IEEE PoE Class 3 (IEEE802.3af) standard max is 15.4 watts per port. For example, the Acti KCM-5211 with a zoom lens consumes 10.8W. The small Hikvision Bullets are about 7 watts each. A PTZ may use the PoE+ standard (IEEE 802.3at-2009 PoE standard which provides up to 25.5 W of power) or require its own PoE injector

Not all 8 port PoE switches have a beefy enough power supply to feed 8 PoE ports simultaneously at even the 15.4 watt per port specification.

I happen to use Ubiquity Tough Switches but layout your actual camera power config before you buy a switch

Phil Schaadt