Kawboy12R

Increasing max fast night shutter speed on newer Axis cams

I had run into a little problem with my Axis cams in moderately low light where the max fast shutter speed in low light mode was only 1/30th of a second in "auto" mode. I could get excellent shots at 1/60th or faster in fixed shutter mode (Video&Audio/CameraSettings) with reduced motion blur but that made the camera useless in the daytime because everything whited out (shutter speed was way too fast for daytime use). I asked tech support for an answer and he said that this was standard for "newer" Axis cameras. We weren't sure why but this is the answer I got to correct the issue after he asked higher up the tech support ladder:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Name: P3364-VE

Problem Area: Camera Servers

Summary: Faster shutter for low light mode

In new cameras there are four parameters determining exposure and all of them are used:

Max fast shutter

Max slow shutter

Max exposure time

Min exposure time

Only "max fast shutter" and "max slow shutter" show in the GUI. Those two parameters can only be configured in a certain range, most importantly max slow shutter can not be shorter then 1/30 (or in 25fps mode 1/25s).

Max / min exposure time can override Max fast/slow shutter, the camera always uses the parameter with the higher limit. So, in this case you could configure them like this:

Max fast shutter: 1000 = 1/1000s (will be overruled by min exposure time)

Max slow shutter: 40000 = 1/25s (will be overruled by max exposure time)

Max exposure time: 4000 = 1/250s (will be applied)

In short, you have to configure "Max exposure time" in the plain config / imagesource with a shorter value - value in microseconds. So e.g. a value of 4000 would correspond to 1/250s (4000 + 250 = 1 000 000). In their case I guess a value of 1/60s should do it, value should be set to 16 666 (16 666 x 60 = 1000000), alt 1/100s (value 10000)

Those setting can be found under the setup > system option > advanced > plain config. Select Image source in the drop down.

Best regards,

Morgan

Axis Customer Services

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, in short, it apparently CAN be set in the web configurator but it isn't terribly obvious on where or how to do it. I asked for it to be adjustable to faster in the regular section under Video&Audio/CameraSettings in the next firmware update so we'll see how that goes.

So, in short, it apparently CAN be set in the web configurator but it isn't terribly obvious on where or how to do it. I asked for it to be adjustable to faster in the regular section under Video&Audio/CameraSettings in the next firmware update so we'll see how that goes.

Fantastic post. Thank you very much for sharing this information!