MarkWiz

Outdoor Winter WIFI Camera?

I'm new to this site but not with WIFI Security cameras. I've searched on this great forum but haven't found the solution to my problem.

I'm looking for an Outdoor Wifi Camera similar to this (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BB-HCM531A-Outdoor-Security-Network/dp/B000P7X438/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1388522255&sr=8-3&keywords=panasonic+outdoor+network+camera) but for a much cheaper price.

Currently I have multiple Panasonic and Wansview security cameras around the inside of my home. I like that I can access each camera's interface for realtime viewing and previewing JPG images that have been stored due motion detection.

I'm looking to add one more camera, an outdoor WIFI cam that can function in -20 below weather, I live in the MidWest. My budget is $300, does one exist? I've been looking for weeks!

In addition looking for these specs as well:

- Motion detection sent via email or ftp.

- Realtime preview and access via WIFI / Browser.

- PTZ would be nice but not necessary.

- wide lens.

I'm not a fan of WiFi because of all the wires like the power wire and usually the lack of outlets where you want the camera. Also, the selection of cameras in this space is terrible and good ones are crazy priced like Brickcom for $1,000 but works well. Also being outside means your signal may be weak so you have to deal with that.

What I would do if it had to be WiFi is put an outdoor access point, like a Ubiquiti Picostation. Get a 12v power supply and power a decent 3MP mini bullet like the Hikvision ds-2cd2032-i or Dahua ipc-hfw4300s. All together it should be just under $300 and provide very good picture quality.

As for motion detection outside, you must have a lot of time because you'll get many false alerts, maybe hundreds as shadows, car headlights, people walking by, dogs, squirrels, plants swaying in a breeze, even clouds passing by. To minimize this, you can get an external PIR motion detector but these lower end cameras do not have alarm inputs for this.

Thanks for your response! I'll start looking into your recommendations ASAP. As far as motion detection, my other WIFI cameras have motion detection sensitivity controls which work well and eliminate minor movements to set off the triggers.

Thx again!

You need to ask the question with the seller of the camera. At extreame weather, you will need to ask if the camera is suitable for the temperature you need it for. Because maybe at -20 degrees it would be fine, but the problem will arise if it is at -25/-30.

Check to see if there is a thermostatic controls, which allow the camera to heat or cool to prevent condensation from forming over the lens and obscuring its sight.

I hope this helps.