cirtemid

Defective BNC cable?

Hello all. I just recently got a Swann DVR9-4200 with 3 PRO-642 cameras. I am having a problem with one of the cameras, and I believe I have narrowed it down to the 60' BNC cable.

Here are the methods I used to come to this conclusion.

Here is how I am labeling the items involved:

Non-functioning Pro-642 Camera--A

Non-functioning 60' BNC Cable--B

Functioning Pro-642 Camera--C

Functioning 60' BNC Cable--D

DVR Channel #1--1

DVR Channel #2--2

The normal situation is Camera A is connected to Cable B, which then goes into the DVR Channel 1. Camera C is connected to Cable D, which then goes into the DVR Channel 2.

1. Camera A- Cable B- DVR 1--> no image.

Camera C- Cable D- DVR 2 -->image

2. Camera A- Cable B- DVR 2-->no image.

Camera C- Cable D- DVR 1-->image

3. Camera A- Cable D- DVR 1-->image

Camera C- Cable B- DVR 2-->no image

A-B-1-->no image

C-D-2-->image

A-B-2-->no image

C-D-1-->image

A-D-1-->image

C-B-2-->no image

As you can see, the case of "no image" was always with Cable B. The only thing I have not tried is to switch the ends that go into the DVR and the camera. The ends of the BNC cables are labeled "DVR side" and "Camera Side." Are these ends absolute? Will there be a problem is the "DVR Side" is plugged into the camera or the "Camera Side" is plugged into the DVR? I am wondering if this one particular cable is labeled incorrectly. The 4 cameras and cables came as a set included with the DVR, so this is one defective cable out of four.

Does this sound like a defective BNC cable to you all, or do you think it is something else?

Thanks.

Thanks for that info. I got with Swann Tech Support and they said it was a defective cable. They should be sending me a new one. We'll see what happens.

Update: I received a new cable from Swann. I hooked it up and everything works.

The one weird thing here is that Swann sent a black 60 ft BNC cable, when the Pro-642 that came with the system had a white cable that has the joystick for OSD controlling. I told them what kind of camera and system I had but they sent the type that doesn't have the joystick in the cable. So now I can't do any precise adjustments on the camera. Well, I'm not bothering telling them they sent the wrong type of cable. I'll just deal with it. I'm just glad the thing works now.

The joystick for OSD adjustment is on the camera pigtail not the connecting coax. If Swann has it on the connecting coax ( and I've never see it like that) then it is just one more reason to stay away from Swann gear