Mael

Headless Hikvision NVR

I’m in the process of planning my IP camera installation and had a few questions regarding the Hikvision NVR’s. I’m looking at their 8 camera DS-7608NI-SE/8P

model. I plan on putting the NVR into my server closet and running it headless. I’ve read through the manual and still have a few questions I’m hoping people can help me out with.

1. Has anyone used a Dahua camera with this model of Hikvision NVR? Is see that the manual says it supports PANASONIC, SONY, AXIS, SANYO, BOSCH, and ACTI. The manual looks a bit dated, so I wanted to find out if anyone has used a Dahua camera with this NVR.

2. If all the cameras plug directly into the NVR and the NVR is on my network, can I connect directly to the cameras from other machines on my network? In other words, can the NVR route traffic from the rest of the network directly to the cameras?

3. Beyond the initial setup, are there any limitations using the NVR without a keyboard and monitor? Can I do everything over the web interface?

Any help is appreciated.

1. Has anyone used a Dahua camera with this model of Hikvision NVR? Is see that the manual says it supports PANASONIC, SONY, AXIS, SANYO, BOSCH, and ACTI. The manual looks a bit dated, so I wanted to find out if anyone has used a Dahua camera with this NVR.

2. If all the cameras plug directly into the NVR and the NVR is on my network, can I connect directly to the cameras from other machines on my network? In other words, can the NVR route traffic from the rest of the network directly to the cameras?

3. Beyond the initial setup, are there any limitations using the NVR without a keyboard and monitor? Can I do everything over the web interface?

1. You can use Dahua cameras.

2. From what I remember, that model only has 4 POE ports, so you will only be able to connect 4 cameras directly. If you want 8 cameras, you will need an extra switch. That said, by default, you will not be able to connect to the cameras from your network (since the network the NVR creates for the camera is on a different subnet), but I think there is some thread on the forum that explains how to do it.

3. No limitations, you can do everything over the web interface. You do not need any physical access to the NVR once it is up and running.