surf1div1

Car Vandalism- See Pictures of house for suggestions

you could look for a BW board camera, fit it inside a custom weaherproof housing, and use up to a 16mm fixed micro lens.

Typically for outdoors Bullet cams are as discreet as I go, next to a Vandal Dome. You could also use an empty gang box, you can buy them with a glass plate or make your own, protect it under an eave or something and caulk it good. Put the camera in there, i did that once for someone using a small mini camera with a pinhole lens. They sell them ready made such as Provideo or GE, but those are made for indoors.

Optionally another discreet camera is the Extreme CCTV EX45. Its a mini weathersealed dome and I would suggest the 16mm lens (the max) and use a Dome Insert to hide the camera guts. It cane be wall mounted or ceiling mounted. Its also vandal resistant.

EX45| High Impact Dome

Features

• Vandal Resistant & Weather Sealed

• CNC-milled anodized aluminum

• B/W model: 0.03Lux, Enhanced Infrared

• Color model: 0.14Lux, Dynamic Range

• Day/Night model: 0.2/0.0Lux, Crisp, vivid color with excellent low light performance

• Protection from electrical surges & spikes

• Ball joint for mounting in any direction

• 12VDC or 24VAC

EX45_web_med.jpg

NOTE: All EX45 models are shipped as black base with half tint as standard.

MODELS:

SX3xxbh – B/W 1/3" LXR, 600TVL, w/ micro-lens

CX6xxah – Color 1/3", 480 TVL, w/ micro-lens

MX4xxbh - Day/night, 1/3" LXR, 450/ 570 TVL, w/ micro-lens

LENS:

Fixed micro lens: Replace xx with 02-2.5mm, 03-2.9mm, 04-3.6mm,

05-4.3mm, 06-6mm, 08-8mm, 12-12mm, 16-16mm

OPTIONS:

RDz - Replacement Dome

y - Base w/ dome, pivot, ball joint (no Camera, no VRB)

yz dummy - Dummy unit with dome (no pivot or ball joint)

DIB - Dome Insert, Black with Slot

y = a-aluminum base, b-black base

z = c-clear, h-half tint, f-full tint

There are many ways of hiding a camera, and generally the most successful are custom disguised for a particular situation.

The trick is, to look at possible locations for installing the camera, and then think about appropriate disguises. That will then give you some idea as to how large the camera can go.

As rory suggested, at the bottom end you could look at PCB board cameras, perhaps with a CS mount so you can fit the exact lens required. That said, you can certainly get 16mm board lenses, and I've also seen longer focal length offerings from some far eastern manufacturers, but to be honest, the quality will not match a conventional 'C' mount optic, and the maximum aperture is usually around f2.5 as opposed to perhaps f1.4 for a decent screw mount lens.

I can't really offer any useful comment or suggestions on suitable disguises, as I just don't know enough (make that anything!) about building construction methods and designs in your 'hood.

A fairly obvious question for you surf1div1, but is there any way you could mount the camera indoors looking out?. If you can, then your equipment options suddenly increase dramatically. How about an alarm box mounted on the property? Remember, the actual working end of the camera will only need a hole, perhaps 1/2 > 3/4" in diameter to look through, and nobody is going to spot that at 60'+ distance (especially if you add a couple of extra holes for good measure ).

Without seeing the house, I'm really just guessing blind

Hi Cooperman, and thanks for your suggestions...I'm in the middle of project (mounting a plasma above the fireplace and looking for the blocking/studs behind the drywall- UGG) but wanted to reference the page of the pictures of the house here:

http://spaces.msn.com/surf1div1/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c02_owner=1&_c=

On the page, just reference the photos under "Surf1div1" and under "Patches" , reference the other photo album- you'll see one called home exterior. There are a few shots- but the blue van is now where the Camper was- in other words by the fire hydrant.

Arnold

There are many ways of hiding a camera, and generally the most successful are custom disguised for a particular situation.

Without seeing the house, I'm really just guessing blind

Hi Rory- Long time no posts...so let's catch up I'll post from within...

you could look for a BW board camera, fit it inside a custom weaherproof housing, and use up to a 16mm fixed micro lens.

A long time friend of mine suggested the same (we've been out of touch for years, and found out that in addition to doing alarms he does CCTV- the problem is that he lives too far to install it for me, but thinks I could possibly do it myself based on me helping him with the alarm we put in my previous house. But at least he's offered pricing on the wholesale side which is a help- just need to pick the equipement....

Typically for outdoors Bullet cams are as discreet as I go, next to a Vandal Dome. You could also use an empty gang box, you can buy them with a glass plate or make your own, protect it under an eave or something and caulk it good. Put the camera in there, i did that once for someone using a small mini camera with a pinhole lens. They sell them ready made such as Provideo or GE, but those are made for indoors.

I'm game- now if I go bullet- do they make white houseing to blend in with the home (someone suggested 'painting them' LOL - I can just see it- opps, the lends got coated Since you last posted this, I notice that your recommending this: http://www.extremecctv.com/products.php?producttype_id=10 The problem is that it's silver for the housing

Optionally another discreet camera is the Extreme CCTV EX45. Its a mini weathersealed dome and I would suggest the 16mm lens (the max) and use a Dome Insert to hide the camera guts. It cane be wall mounted or ceiling mounted. Its also vandal resistant.

What is a dome insert? The concern I have this the dome is installing it in the stucco and under the eave. I would optimally like to recess it so that there's little exposure to anything. Also, with the stucco being from what I understand a 3/4" of stucco to get to the cavity behind it. Since I've been told that the cavity is only the depth of a 2 X 4 (3.250)? is that enough to place a dome?

BTW, the do it yourself Home theatre install was long- getting the holes cut through the studs to conceal the wire channel in the walls (the Plasma is above the fireplace (no I don't use it) and didn't want any wires showing. Not to mention the HDMI cable issues of compatability between the DVD player , and My Panasonic TV. A nightmare as the LG was a hassle to deal with. But the end product was well worth it. Now on to my procrastination on the CCTV. Bear with- I'm hoping by the time I finally do this, there's equipment that will do what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a camera suggestion, but am wondering if one of your neighbors vandalized your van?

You look like you have a used car lot on your premises that spills out onto the street. The RV in your driveway with the SUV would have been enough to send anyone in my neighborhood over the edge, if anyone had parked that many vehicles in plain site. Then to use the street for the remainder of the vehicles is just plain taking down the integrity of the neighborhood.

I hope you find your culprit...vandalism is never the answer. But taking into consideration what other people have to look at is also being a good neighbor.

I don't have a camera suggestion, but am wondering if one of your neighbors vandalized your van?

You look like you have a used car lot on your premises that spills out onto the street. The RV in your driveway with the SUV would have been enough to send anyone in my neighborhood over the edge, if anyone had parked that many vehicles in plain site. Then to use the street for the remainder of the vehicles is just plain taking down the integrity of the neighborhood.

I hope you find your culprit...vandalism is never the answer. But taking into consideration what other people have to look at is also being a good neighbor.

LOL you need to check most of the homes around here .. typically there are no garages so all cars are parked in the yard or on the road .. or on the walkway. ... where they exist .. i mean most of the cars are just $500 imported from japan wrecks so a family of 20 living in 1 home could have like 5-10 cars .. hey they maybe poor but dont mess with their ride ..

Oh I agree...never mess than anyone's personal property...no matter what! I was the victim of vandalism when my neighbor didn't want my car parked in front of my garage, so he slashed my convertible roof, so I'm very sensitive to this subject.

I blame the City's Planning Department and Streets for allowing these situations to get out of hand. I know in L.A., that you can get a building permit with no driveway parking, as long as you have 2 spaces in your garage to park. That may be law, but it's not reality. One of the problems to vehicles parked permanently on the streets is the inability for the street sweeper to clean the streets and children playing in between cars creates a safety hazard. That and the fact that no one wants to see your second home parked in your driveway. Now I'm thankful that I live in the hills where there is no parking...I think.

I didn't want to sound condescending to the original Poster, but want to possible point out another solution to his problem. When you attempt to get help from the Police in L.A., they remind you that this is Civil and they are only 'peace' Officers...HAH!

LOL, street sweepers ... man i havent seen one of them since i was last in the US ...

I'm having the same problem, so far in three different apartment complexes I've had my rims stolen (they were stock) and twice someone has attempted to steal the whole car. I'm a broke college student so I can't afford a whole lot but I need a camera I can point out my second story bedroom window.

Below is a pic of my car from the window, it's only 20-30' feet. The cheaper the camera the better but I can probably go as high as $200. The lighting situation will be better tomorrow when I go to the office and get the spotlight on the side of the building fixed. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of good resources on the web for this type of thing so thanks in advance for any advice.

P10100522c1.JPG

Hi, well you can use just a BW Bullet camera if you are mainly concerned with night, and on a tight budget ... most OEM ones should work .. do you want to record it ..?

I have the Intellicam ACD-200N I believe. Intellicam is no longer around I understand, but I think I only paid around $100 for it. I have it overlooking the parking lot covering my car from my apartment window. I always park right below it, so I am good to go, but it covers quite a few spaces.

I might be able to upload some screenshots after work today.

I'm not sure if anyone carries it anymore, or what products are comparable to it. But I am sure you'll get a lot of great suggestions here.

Yeah, I'd like to be able to record it if at all possible. I have an extra desktop and/or a small tv w/built in vcr I can use, whichever is cheaper. Do you have any specific models I should look for?

UMDRanger, some screenshots would be great. A lot of my problem is most sites don't have video or screenshots of what the picture quality will look like.

you could just use a Geovision GV250 2 channel card ... once the extra PC is windows XP, at least 1.7Ghz and 256MB DDR, need a somewhat decent video card also, well at least 64MB .. 128 preferred ..

I agree with Rory, go with a Geovision two camera input card. I have a GV-800-4, 30fps on each channel, and it is more than I need. But after having my car broken into so many times... I wanted the best I could get.

My setup

1- main entrance. I just replaced the cheap color dome with a nice B/W I got in a gamble on ebay. (Really... buying on ebay is a gamble. Sometimes you get good, other times you get the shaft). An old box style Philips LTC 0330/21 B/W with a 3.5-8mm auto-iris lense Personally I was dissapointed I'd be loosing color and going to B/W, but I get much better resolution and night vision than I ever did with the cheap color.

2749674650055822183UekQrL

2. My play room where all the computers, guns, and financial documents are. Enter this room, and I've got you twice on camera, and most importantly, I can see exactly what you've messed with.

3. Parking lot general view. This is the Intellicam ACD-200N which is color and b/w switching. I park right below it so I can see general activity near my car. I hid it in a plant, and on some of the videos you can see the window ledge... an indication that I haven't gotten around to repositioning it yet.

2418021880055822183BCBLUo

2281725360055822183juqQqk

4. What good is the general view if you can't make out a way for the cops to track the suspects? Thats why I have a parking lot entrance view as well! I have moderately priced box camera with a 50mm zoom lense aimed at the center of the closer parking lot entrance. Unfortunately the other entrance, accross the lot is not covered, but I figure the criminal will loop through the parking lot rather than turn around.

2869326180055822183zioSdK

I am also fortunate that I have light posts casting nice lighting conditions.

I tried to upload the videos on my youtube account, but kept getting errors "failed; unable to convert to video clip"

Well, from my limited knowledge, it appears it's pretty easy to get decent shots from an indoor cam, but those fishbowl shots of day/night on that intellicam wouldn't cut it for me except for general monitoring, which is why I guess your using that, but you got a great shot with that 50 MM one to the point of being able to ID the car license plate. Boy, this thread has really taken on a life of it's own though....thanks for you input!

I agree with Rory, go with a Geovision two camera input card. I have a GV-800-4, 30fps on each channel, and it is more than I need. But after having my car broken into so many times... I wanted the best I could get.

My setup

1- main entrance. I just replaced the cheap color dome with a nice B/W I got in a gamble on ebay. (Really... buying on ebay is a gamble. Sometimes you get good, other times you get the shaft). An old box style Philips LTC 0330/21 B/W with a 3.5-8mm auto-iris lense Personally I was dissapointed I'd be loosing color and going to B/W, but I get much better resolution and night vision than I ever did with the cheap color.

2749674650055822183UekQrL

2. My play room where all the computers, guns, and financial documents are. Enter this room, and I've got you twice on camera, and most importantly, I can see exactly what you've messed with.

3. Parking lot general view. This is the Intellicam ACD-200N which is color and b/w switching. I park right below it so I can see general activity near my car. I hid it in a plant, and on some of the videos you can see the window ledge... an indication that I haven't gotten around to repositioning it yet.

2418021880055822183BCBLUo

2281725360055822183juqQqk

4. What good is the general view if you can't make out a way for the cops to track the suspects? Thats why I have a parking lot entrance view as well! I have moderately priced box camera with a 50mm zoom lense aimed at the center of the closer parking lot entrance. Unfortunately the other entrance, accross the lot is not covered, but I figure the criminal will loop through the parking lot rather than turn around.

2869326180055822183zioSdK

I must digress, the 50mm lense viewing the parking lto entrance does not work well at night. Sometimes I get a viewable pic, mostly not. And yes the Intellicam one is just a general overview. Between all the cameras, it has the best lux rating, so I am pleased.

I guess this is as good a place to 'catch-up' as any. Well, got a call from the Ventura County Public Defender (guess why it appears our vandal who has had this warrant for his arrest since last year ended up in Jail and now the PD wants to see if I'll consider a "civil compromise" i.e. pay me off and I'll go away. Well, as any of you have guessed by now that isn't going to happen. Which brings me up to today- the Court Arraignment is next Wed. the 20'th and he'll find out that I'm not going for it and will probably trade in the freebee attorney once he finds out this is going to trial. So, in anticipation of this date, I'm now forced to move a little quicker now that I'll be appearing in court and seeing the same kind of garbage (vandalism- just a different operator I suspect) after pursuing a criminal conviction on this idiot. Which brings me back to here. A guy at work who does this for a living is working up a proposal, and were looking at a 4 camera DVR (or possibly a dedicated computer system like Tom's) but while he was checking out the area, he came up with this camera that they purchased a bunch of and because they got a 'great deal' on wanted to apply it to what I'm looking at- thus this post. Here is what he's thinking of installing: WV-NW474S by Panasonic. Not seeing this cam mentioned here and googling around see that it's a hybrid of which I'm not seeing the benefit for what I'm intending to use it for. Since this dome can be recessed into the area above the garage door, I believe this will be ok as far as discreet. So, I'm back- looking for feedback. In any case, I may be posting this too early since I still don't have a DVR set-up that he's going to go with, but seeing that the camera that he's thinking of is IP thought I would see what the plus's and less then that are for this application. I don't care what a great deal of a camera it is if it's not going to do the job- namely ID the next go round with these bozo's who've lost before and don't want to take for granted that they might of gotten some education with the local criminal justice system since these types aren't the sharpest heads in the gene pool (like the one that posted about my parking lot in front of my house- had to laugh and sorry that I couldn't respond, but that was too funny- maybe their related ;-0 ...in any case, thought I would run this by you guys for the continuing saga of vandals getting their comeuppance...also Rory, my wife is talking me into getting rid of our boat that is in the garage and parking that van in the garage (the blue one that is across the street) so the depth of field that we were discussing prior may not be an issue, and what I would probably want is something that cover the immediate area all around the house covered. Not sure how that would change things, but this 'project' is dynamic and because of this change thought I would 'mention' it. BTW, "sick of my neighbor" if you could, skip this thread for your input- and as alway thanks for al the input from those pro's out there that have been good enough to share your feeback.

Surf1div1

Hi,

Need some help to address some vandalism that has happened to my van which is parked across the street. Because of the mailbox in front of my house, I can't keep the car parked anywhere but where it is. Here is the web address for reference:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/surf1div1/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01_photoalbum=showdefault&_c02_owner=1&_c=photoalbum

From my southwest corner of my house (most accessible for a camera) to where the car is about 70'. I have a flood light that comes on when you approach the house, but obviously that won't help "spotlighting" the Van(it's the blue one) across the way. I would prefer a b/w high res varifocal that is very discreet for two purposes-don't tip of whoever is destroying the car, and second to keep the house from looking like were drug dealers. For this reason I'm partial to a bullet- but have considered a dome. Problem is that they would be mounted under the garage eaves and the underside is stucco-not sure of how easy it would be to mount any of them. If there's advantages to the dome, then I'll consider them, but the less obtrusive the better. Also, the camera would be facing the Southwest, and afternoon light would be hitting it. I have a motorhome in the front driveway, and would like to keep the house covered so would be using another camera on the Southeast corner of the house as well. Those are the main cameras. Also, I'm planning on installing a camera under the eave just to the right of the door entrance (see picture). I could place possibly a dome if there's an advantage, but looking for suggestions as to what to get. The entrace kind of faces another home and I've included in the website address a drawing of the layout with measurements of the house and pertinent details. Also, I have the back/sideyards that I would like to cover but there not as critical at this point. My focus is on quality for equipment, and would need a minimum of four cameras, but possibly more. Budget wise I 'm open- I would prefer to stay within $1,000 for four cameras, but depending on what I would trade off, would consider more(like the southwest camera having a zoom feature). Re: the pictures- First picture is a drawing of the house, second picture is across the stree-motorhome in front and looking at the house, right side is the Southeast corner, left southwest corner. As you can see, if I try and mount the cameras from the second floor eaves I don't have coverage of what's happening in the driveway. The third picture is from the southwest corner facing the street with the van I'm trying to cover across from it (in blue). Fourth picture is from eave above house looking out from that office window above the garage. Fifth picture is from southeast side of house off the driveway facing street on the otherside of the motorhome. There's other shots of various shots from on top of the garage facing the entrance, and back/sideyards.

Thanks in advance,

Arnold

Hi - not seeing a response to my most recent post on the car vandalism I thought I would see your thoughts on what's happening. Through work, I met someone that does this for a living commercially and has stopped by and is willing to install a system. He's talked me into instead of bullets vandal proof domes and have seen recently feedback the Nuvicos and know some have used these cams there appears to be some feedback on them, but also, from Jasper's posts some partiality insinuated by someone that is pushing them it 'appears'. But Howard from Spytown says there good, and the design guy loves them, so while I know your fine with Wiz, thought I would see if you would approach the use of the Nuvico since after seeing how the dome would be so recessed under the eaves of my home that the stealth aspect I'm looking for might very well work, what your feedback is. Optimally this should be a true Day/Night, with a IR Cut, and be able to cover the area. What I"M thinking is that the two one mounted on the front of the garage one would be wider focus (the left side covering the general aread, and the right side tight shot for ID whoever would vandalise the van, and back on the backyard facing the street and mounted on the right side, a wider view facing the van but also the approach from the other side. Total is 5 cams- two front, one rear right side facing street, backyard (where the dog is and not recorded, but could be monitored) and the back rear left side facing the side yard to the front of the house . This way everything is covered on the house and recorded. Here are the parts so far: Nuvico Easy View Day Night Dome- CV- SD series, Dedicated Micros Stand alone ECO4, Channel Plus RF Modulator, Lockbox with four fans ,power supply, cable, switches for about $1910 parts and $350 labor. Your thoughts?