lumberjack

using car rear view monitor at tester question

Hi all

I am a tradesman but not a sparky or cctv installer hence this question.

I put up a complete system (8 cam's) at mine and want to do similar for a family member

Theirs is a larger place and would take a heck of a lot of traipsing in and out and up and down the ladders getting cam's exactly in the right place as it is a small farm.

I had a brainwave (doh) about using the following as a test monitor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-4-3-TFT-LCD-Digital-Color-Screen-Monitor-for-Car-Rear-View-CCTV-Camera/200851019636?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D286%26meid%3D4463270871505756210%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1048%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D321307688679%26

at the camera end (of the camera I am installing) I will have video and power, and the corresponding one's dvr.

My question is how do I connect the above car camera as a test unit while up a ladder.

1. Can I use video in off dome camera I am fitting then rig up 9 volts somehow

2. Can I use video in off dome camera and the power off the lead from the dvr

3. Can I use some cables off ebay that would give me the same.

Appreciate some help here please (currently only have the pictures from the above link to it as only just ordered)

with thanks

Yes, you can use a monitor like that. My advice, get one that has better resolution, I also have a 4.3" 480x272, and this one you are linking is only 320x240. Good for pointing the camera where you want, but probably not enough for focusing if you have varifocal cameras.

I also carry with me a 12V battery, but if you don't want to buy one, you can use a "one to two" power cable, like this, so you can power both camera and monitor at the same time:

http://www.securame.com/cable-alimentacion-1x21mm-macho-2x21mm-hembra-p-849.html

For a one time install, that will work. You might need a BNC adapter for the cable and a Y splitter to share the 12VDC temporarily.

At that price what can go wrong.............da da da!

Good thinking for an amateur. You are doing what all professionals do and what does it matter if the unit is not meant for this?

If you are just pointing the cameras with fixed lens then this will do the job for you and make life a LOT easier.

You will need adapters for the connections but that's nothing you can't find easily and hey who knows you may even do more

for others in the future.... best of luck

By the way this is a Y splitter to tap power from the camera supply so no batteries required to power your monitor

240362_1.jpg

thanks to all who replied

do you have a name or a link for that y splitter please (I suppose I should google y-splitter)

are these them?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/splitter-Pigtail-Cable-Connector-supply/dp/B00FH8Z15Y

You are correct also in assuming it will do for my needs, (fixed lens) if I was to do more I would spend

on a decent meter such as I have for my sat installs cos I do a few of them.

thanks again

Hi again, Thanks for help so far

I have most of the stuff I need and before I spend money on 1 further item which I have mentioned below in case it is the wrong item

and as I cant get 1 cheaply, I would have to buy 10 for value, so I would like advice please before ordering.

Power wise I am sorted, either I connect a pp3 battery to the supplied lead, or I y split off the cable from the dvr (I have a 4-1 doing nothing)

============================

Video is where I want to be sure.

I have, car video monitor.

Red = power

yellow = rca (I have connected a rca to female bnc)

White = rca (possible unused)

Camera

Red = power

yellow = female bnc

My question.

I now have two female bnc which need to be linked. if I use a "BNC MALE TO MALE RG59 COUPLER" will that do it.

It seems they are £2 for one, or £2.99 for 10 including postage so I would buy 10 but do not want to buy the wrong thing.

OR will I need to come off the cable from dvd using a T coupler then use that "BNC MALE TO MALE RG59 COUPLER" to connect off that T.

I hope the above makes sense

thanks for looking