avinsinanan

Question about RBG video signals

Hello,

I am currently doing a visual display system where video signals (RGB) are to be displayed via projector. The RGB signals from the video is converted to VGA or compiste signal then it is tramsmitted to the projector VIA CAT-6 cable. At the projector it is converted back to RGB.

My question is:

Why does the RBG need to be converted from RGB to VGA? And why was CAT-6 the choice of cable?

Also I noticed in the system there were two devices:

UTP video matrix mixer and RJ-45 patch panel - what are the purpose of these devices?

I am new to this video display systems and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yours Respectfully

Avin Sinanan

rgb is converted to vga so that it can be transmitted longer distances via CAT6. rgb and vga are not happy beyond certain distances. the CAT6 is built for distance and maintaining quality. if you are installing all within the lenght of the rgb cables you can bypass the CAT6.

the devices are for "routing" signals. you need to do a web search by model number and you will find more accurate specs concerning. matrix switches and like equipment are usually used in the production of video conferencing/production type applications where you pull in a video feed and transmit it to several screens and a recording dat all at the same time. some have built in delay's like they are now using on TV where they delay the video to allow censoring.....no more "live" bad janet video:cry:

Thanks,

Why is VGA better for long distances? Is the VGA digital or analogue? I assume RBG is analoge, right?

Thanks again for the info.

Avin

Keep it RGB if at all possible.

Use a broadcast cable if the distance is an issue.

I understand cost is an issue, but every video to vga/svga type converter I have used or seen used results in a degraded picture that suffers noise and or hum.

If you do go the converter route, get it on trail if you can and try it out.