Sign in to follow this  
tekkendork

Will 2 to 3 IP cameras affect internet bandwidth?

Still shopping for a system and cameras.

If I have three 3mp PoE cameras, recording at 24fps or less, will this affect web surfing/Netflix streaming, etc.?

Or is it only an issue when I check the feeds remotely? Not sure how all of this works.

My reported max download speed is 30mbps. Upload, 5mbps

Are the cameras directly plugged into your router or a separate switch? Is the NVR or PC doing recording plugged into the same switch or on the router?

There isn't going to be any traffic on the internet link, but poorly configured networks can cause bottlenecks.

My plan is to run one camera directly to the NVR. The other camera will connect to the NVR, too but I might use a MoCa adapter or powerline ethernet adapter to avoid running a long length of cat5/6. I think the NVR would be connected to the router using the same MoCa or powerline adapter.

My plan is to run one camera directly to the NVR. The other camera will connect to the NVR, too but I might use a MoCa adapter or powerline ethernet adapter to avoid running a long length of cat5/6. I think the NVR would be connected to the router using the same MoCa or powerline adapter.

Remote

Remote viewing will kill your local internet depending on what you are viewing i.e. sub stream vs main stream/playback. Most are going to want the latter so, yes.

Local

If you have gigabit router and switches, you won't have any problems with 3. You could even get by with 10/100 (3 cameras =~24Mbps). My advice is go gigabit. This is for wired devices.

Wireless netflix streaming, wireless general internet, and local NVR streaming to say a tablet will kill performance because of all being on wireless. You could get a dual-band wireless router if you're going that way and segregate the traffic.