babaganoosh

PLEASE help ! Pasword reset on no-name H.264 DVR

I bought this dvr bundle a few months ago:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=110&cp_id=11019&cs_id=1101901&p_id=9888&seq=1&format=5

Set it up temporarily in my office for port forwarding / experimenting. Everything was working fine.

Put it to the side for a couple months (unpowered) and pulled it back out to start setting up cameras in their correct locations. They show on the dvr screen when connnected via vga cable.

Went to admin the DVR and I seemed to have forgotten the password.

I first just tried removing the coin battery like on a PC thinking that would wipe the config back to factory defaults. Interesting, the time DID reset back to 2008. But still couldn't get in.

Let it sit for hours, still no luck. Monoprice said the superuser password is 020818 but that didn't work either (from the dvr connected to a VGA monitor and from the web interface).

Looking on the web, I found apps that create a temp password from the clock timestamp for some dvrs. Tried those and still didn't work.

The book says it's running embedded Linux. Any advice on how to get in to the box at this point? How many password attempts does it take then the box is locked and then for how long?

I tried telnet to the IP of the box, and got a can't connect on port 23 message (interesting - a couple months ago when setting it up, I set a static IP for the box and that has stayed also.. and the clock only reset once, back to 2008. Even without the coin battery in there, it's keeping clock setting, IP settings, etc.

I get the login screen / port forwarding and can get to the login screen from outside the house. So all seems to be working, except I can't administer / get to the playback menu, etc...

Any advice what to do now?!