camtastic

choppy dahua 3Mp bullet feed. How to improve?

Hi,

I'm trying to understand where my bottlenecks are. I have 1 dahua 3MP HFW4300S bullet camera and it looks great -- BUT -- I'm running into huge skips on the streaming of video. I first started with a wireless access point to save wiring around the house, but I found by connecting to a physical cat5 wire, it improved the streaming.

I also tried 3MP, 1080P etc.. and scaled back on bit rate (down to 2k), it gets better, but still there is chop. I can see the timer seconds skipping when cars drive by and it's like a car is jumping from point to point. I had the idea to increase my internet speed from 10M/1M to 55M/5M, but on second thought, I don't see the internet speed having any impact right now as I am directly feeding (wired ~25ft) from a 300Mbs router to the camera and that router to my desktop (wireless). I can see it being an issue when viewing remotely later, but I have to solve this speed issue first as I am going to add at least 3 more and hook up an NVR I just bought (BW $700 no invoice and no paper manual, great).

Settings (IP Camera Interface comes w/Dahua).

Also, IPCamera interface refuses to save the path properly. Every time I exit it resets to C drive, while that is my SSD. I want it saved to J drive (1TB).

Main (hard wired 20ft cat 5, better in that seconds don't skip, but would like smooth response on sub-second intervals).

Encode Mode: H.264

Res: 3M

Frame Rate: 20FPS

Bit Rate Type: CBR

Bit Rate: 1792 Kb/s

I Frame Interval 30

SubStream: Disabled (faster that way)

computer is quad core i7 2600, 3.4GHz, 16G Ram

Win 7

firefox 27.0.1

Any thoughts are appreciated thanks.

I'd start with the PC first. Hard Code your PC and connect your cam direct to PC. Note the results. Then add a router/switch. Note results. Keep building it and take notes on results. If and when the bottleneck appears...........troubleshoot the problem.

Lots of things can cause this; switch, router, cable, connectors, ect. You need to build a known working system from small parts and then add them

Hi,

I'm trying to understand where my bottlenecks are. I have 1 dahua 3MP HFW4300S bullet camera and it looks great -- BUT -- I'm running into huge skips on the streaming of video. I first started with a wireless access point to save wiring around the house, but I found by connecting to a physical cat5 wire, it improved the streaming.

I also tried 3MP, 1080P etc.. and scaled back on bit rate (down to 2k), it gets better, but still there is chop. I can see the timer seconds skipping when cars drive by and it's like a car is jumping from point to point. I had the idea to increase my internet speed from 10M/1M to 55M/5M, but on second thought, I don't see the internet speed having any impact right now as I am directly feeding (wired ~25ft) from a 300Mbs router to the camera and that router to my desktop (wireless). I can see it being an issue when viewing remotely later, but I have to solve this speed issue first as I am going to add at least 3 more and hook up an NVR I just bought (BW $700 no invoice and no paper manual, great).

Try it with your computer wired.

Your internety speed won't make a difference on your network speed. Maybe using a network switch will, your router might also be the bottleneck.

Thanks for the suggestions. So I literally connected a 20ft cable directly from the camera to my desktop (I could go to 1ft, but it's now hardwired outside the house and would do me no good anyways). It still has some chopping with cars driving by. It seemed ok the other day inside the house. The only difference is maybe the camera is colder outside and reacts differently under different temperature conditions? Or the settings should be modified? Have others used this camera without problems like mine? I can't see any problems aside from the camera as my desktop has a very fast processor, modern 10/100 card etc...

The router is no longer in the picture here. Only LAN card. Any other suggestions on at least the camera config options? I could keep scaling WAY back on resolution, but it sort of defeats the purpose.

edit: ok, I also have an inline TP-LINK PoE injector (803.2af) for power. If I have to go buy an adapter and hard power it, I think it wouldn't be worth it.

The live camera timer does display seconds without jumping too much, but when you watch cars drive by, there are like these small jumps in time... even though it is sub-second, it is very noticeable by eye.

P.S. As the manual is very limited, does anyone know what IFRAME interval setting is (20~150)? Should it be set to the maximum fps rate of the resolution (3MP 20fps max)?

I am getting the same thing on my Dahua 2MP High Speed PTZ. I am reading all over the internet this is common for Dahua Cameras to get jerky and choppy over time. The cameras are supposed to be 25 fps, smooth frames, but now, all of a sudden there is very noticeable jerkiness and frame freezes every few seconds. I have tried all the methods available that have been suggested, which is change from VBR to CBR, which improves it by about 10% but still it occurs. Reducing or increasing bit rate from 4000 to 8000 or 8000 to 4000 bits do nothing. I have also tried putting the resolution to 720p (~1 MP), and that helps it by 40% but still it occurs. Then putting the resolution to the D1 resolution helps it by 90%, but only slight freezes noticeable.

A perfectly working PTZ is now reduced to a lemon.

Camera software version is the latest,

Software Version

2.210.0000.6.R, build : 2013-11-13

WEB Version

PTZ Version

V1.03.20.RHNJEH

S/N

PZB4EN901W00014

Need to speak to Dahua now.

Cheers,

Q

Hey there quaidorsay,

I have experienced similar issues to you with the 2MP PTZ camera.

I fixed this issue by using TCP rather than UDP for streaming, I assume you are recording to a network server?

Not sure if it plays much of an impact, but i am also running this camera off a 24v power supply rather than using POE,

Hope you get it running!