ubermik

Wiring puzzle on first ever installation

Not wanting anybody to actually tell me how to do this as I feel its something I "should" be able to figure out.

But I am about to do my first two CCTV installations and niether look straight forward.

The first has the entire upstairs covered with laminate flooring and the TV they want to view the DVR on is in the middle of an internal wall

So I was thinking this

As there is no neat way to run the cables to the TV I thought that I could put the DVR in a cupboard upstairs where I can easily provide mains. Then to get the picture and lan from there to the TV and the router which is next to the TV use a pair of powerline network adapters which gets the DVR linked to the router and therefore the net

For the video display onto the TV I thought the easiest and probably the cheapest way to do that is to then use a HDMI android dongle or TV box with a link saved to the DVR via its LAN IP address which would then allow you to view the DVR on the TV as well as the added bonus of making the REALLY old plasma TV into an all singing all dancing super smart TV too

I had considered video senders and wifi dongles but theyre just as expensive and introduce the problems of signal stregnth and interference so the ethernet/mains android approach felt like a good solution but despite not being from barcelona I know nothing lol

So, am I missing some (to everyone except me) glaringly obvious flaws in my solution or overlooking a simpler more obvious work around where running cables cant be done easily or neatly

Cheers for any input

Mike

Not wanting anybody to actually tell me how to do this as I feel its something I "should" be able to figure out.

But I am about to do my first two CCTV installations and niether look straight forward.

The first has the entire upstairs covered with laminate flooring and the TV they want to view the DVR on is in the middle of an internal wall

So I was thinking this

As there is no neat way to run the cables to the TV I thought that I could put the DVR in a cupboard upstairs where I can easily provide mains. Then to get the picture and lan from there to the TV and the router which is next to the TV use a pair of powerline network adapters which gets the DVR linked to the router and therefore the net

For the video display onto the TV I thought the easiest and probably the cheapest way to do that is to then use a HDMI android dongle or TV box with a link saved to the DVR via its LAN IP address which would then allow you to view the DVR on the TV as well as the added bonus of making the REALLY old plasma TV into an all singing all dancing super smart TV too

I had considered video senders and wifi dongles but theyre just as expensive and introduce the problems of signal stregnth and interference so the ethernet/mains android approach felt like a good solution but despite not being from barcelona I know nothing lol

So, am I missing some (to everyone except me) glaringly obvious flaws in my solution or overlooking a simpler more obvious work around where running cables cant be done easily or neatly

Cheers for any input

Mike

Consider using a RF modulator on the output of the DVR and connect to the TV antenna system

Ilkie

I have to admit I havent seen ad hoc modulators but I ruled out OTA modulators or videosenders due to the house having been modified and extended several times and there being a risk that additional metal work and RSJs might interfere with the signal

Plus the ones with the ability to also relay remote control information back to the source so they would have some control over the DVR would cost as much if not more than the purely digital approach as it would only cost about £15 for a pair of powerlink adapters @ 200mbps and about £50-60 for a dual core android TV box with remote

A cabled modulator would solve the chance of signal loss due to metalwork but there would still be no control over the DVR so as an example someone could make a camera full screen unless they walked upstairs to the DVR and then they would also need an additional screen in the cupboard to be able to see what is happening

If they make modulators that also relay the IR remote signal back to source though that would be a good solution assuming the have TV ariel cable fitted and arent just relying on sky or cable which to be honest I hadnt checked