cjgdiver

Video Enhancement

I have a small section of video 4 seconds avi that I downloaded from my DVR. I am trying to find a way to enhance the video myself or possibly hire someone to enhance it to see if its possible to get the license plate number. You can see the plate but just cant make out the numbers.

Someone stole my 92 year old neighbors parrot that she has had for 30+ years. The camera isn't in the optimum position for looking at the car but I figure its worth a post to try and help her out.

As a disclaimer I am not saying the attached still is the thief...

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I can also send the .AVI separately seeing as I cant attach them here.

Thanks

Still License Plate.tif

Edited by Guest

Hardly likely. If the pixels aren't there, they aren't there. CSI is a fictional show as are all of the media images of digital enhancement bringing out missing details. Under very limited circumstances, like when some detail is lost due to light conditions, images can be enhanced but if the plate numbers are too small for the camera to resolve, no one can fix the images.

Can you PM me with a file link and and email to send back?

Do you also have it in non-avi format too or was it recorded as AVI?

What State is this? Most States it is a felony upcharge when the theft is against a senior citizen. Bet it is someone local that knows. I would get the news involved with this one. Push the "therapeutic" parrot as it probably kept her alive this long as companionship. Have them announce if she dies the thieves would be responsible for homicide from stress related issue.

How anyone can target a senior citizen in reprehensible! Muslim cultures do have a few things right like cutting the hands off thieves.

Can you PM me with a file link and and email to send back?

Do you also have it in non-avi format too or was it recorded as AVI?

What State is this? Most States it is a felony upcharge when the theft is against a senior citizen. Bet it is someone local that knows. I would get the news involved with this one. Push the "therapeutic" parrot as it probably kept her alive this long as companionship. Have them announce if she dies the thieves would be responsible for homicide from stress related issue.

How anyone can target a senior citizen in reprehensible! Muslim cultures do have a few things right like cutting the hands off thieves.

Not sure what the police are doing, the full video enabled the police to identify the type of car and that it had the passenger headlight out. Tried to find something unique to the car like a bumper sticker or something but no luck. As you can tell from the picture the camera was set up to watch my front door and not my neighbors so we started out at a disadvantage. Just sent you the full video. Thanks

I just purchased a license plate camera which I am going to mount, unfortunately too little too late on this one.

Hardly likely. If the pixels aren't there, they aren't there. CSI is a fictional show as are all of the media images of digital enhancement bringing out missing details. Under very limited circumstances, like when some detail is lost due to light conditions, images can be enhanced but if the plate numbers are too small for the camera to resolve, no one can fix the images.

Got it, not CSI. In a former life however I worked with a company that built a software package (ran on SGI) for the government which actually was designed to add pixels. I am not terribly technical however as it was explained to me it would first take several of the images (even if moving) and overlay them to try and get the most usable available pixels of the area you were trying to see. It would then take the pixels it had and assume that each pixel next to each available pixel was the same and starting building out pixel by pixel in every direction. I saw them produce some pretty amazing results and this was 15+ years ago. The only demonstration I saw was for words and shapes no faces.

So again LONG shot but I think it would be worth it if I could help the Lady out.

Not that it is going to solve anything but I attached the picture of the SOB running from the house. To his buddy who is waiting in the car. You cant see it here but he took the sheet that covers the cage at night and used it to wrap the bird up and is carrying it like a football. Keep in mind the Macaw is close to 2' tall. Makes me sick every time I see it.

Leaving.tif

Not sure if this will be any help, but I once worked with a company called Cognitech. They have software for "enhancing" surveillance footage. https://www.cognitech.com

Their website is a little confusing since they aren't trying to sell to end-users. However, if you contact them they might have a dealer close to you who's willing to look at the footage.

Not sure if this will be any help, but I once worked with a company called Cognitech. They have software for "enhancing" surveillance footage.

Their website is a little confusing since they aren't trying to sell to end-users. However, if you contact them they might have a dealer close to you who's willing to look at the footage.

Thanks will drop them an email.

I ran a first pass enhancement and it appears

3608 or 360P as the last 4.

1. What is your license plate scheme in Puerto Rico? How many max characters and any pattern like 3 letters 4 numbers

2. What is the character color? Dark Blue, Black etc?

I'm having a difficult time on the left side to determine if those are letters or does the plate have a graphic behind it. Can you post a photo from the DMV site that is that style?

1. What is your license plate scheme in Puerto Rico? How many max characters and any pattern like 3 letters 4 numbers

I'm having a difficult time on the left side to determine if those are letters or does the plate have a graphic behind it. Can you post a photo from the DMV site that is that style?

See link below. The most common is the one on the right.

http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/Puerto_Rico/pry2k.html

Just spoke to the police and they said 99% are three letters followed by 3x numbers. With the logo in the middle.

I'm impressed that anyone can get a single digit out of that. I blew it up on Photoshop, the numbers are 5 pixels tall, even in daylight that would be very difficult. Imagine trying to represent a letter or number with 5 pixels tall, maybe 2-3 pixels wide. Axis in their training recommends plate numbers be at least 15 pixels tall, just for future reference.

Just found out that the first letter of the three on the left side has to be an "A-I" as those are the only ones issued at this time.

I'm impressed that anyone can get a single digit out of that. I blew it up on Photoshop, the numbers are 5 pixels tall, even in daylight that would be very difficult. Imagine trying to represent a letter or number with 5 pixels tall, maybe 2-3 pixels wide. Axis in their training recommends plate numbers be at least 15 pixels tall, just for future reference.

Even if we get a couple numbers, its a small town and the police have identified the type of car. This started out as a long shot but again even a couple numbers might be the difference.

GREAT!! news. While we were never able to get the license plate number the video was enough for the police to identify the make model and year of the car. They also knew that the passenger headlight was out. They identified the car one night and got the license plate without stopping the car. The next day they went to the registered address and found the Bird and apparently other less than legal items. I have not heard what the person will be charged with but its my understanding its enough to put them in jail. The Bird is now back with its owner.

That is awesome! " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />