fas

Will any old hard drive do?

I notice a lot of the dvr's have removable hard drives. If I have a 200gig hard drive laying around, can I use it in a dvr? Do you need special formatting, or will the dvr do that itself? Thanks.

the dvr manual/specs will tell you the speed/size required. ie. upto a 5400/300Gb. not any ole hard drive will work.........and after that the dvr will "initialize" the hard drive.

Ya some hard drives are not compatible with some dvr's plus you have to be careful not to void your warranty by using your own HD even if it is compatible

PC based - The simple answer is no. Not if you care about customer relations anyway. Hard dives WILL fail in DVRs. A DVR is very taxing on a hard drive. I have RMAed many a hard drive and I have noticed a trend in manufactures. WD and Maxtor both have started to question DVR usage when RMAing a drive. They have also started product lines like the "Enterprise Edition" for said target market.

i only use western digital and knock on wood havent had a failure yet.. my tivo failed after a year and i opened it up and found a crapy maxtor drive in it so i will stay away from them for my surveillance dvrs

We use Western Digital SATA Hard Drives:

Personally they run a lot cooler than standard IDE drives, i think. Ever since we made the switch to SATA from IDE we have had no problems. Also, no big bulky IDE cables blocking case airflow.

If your MOBO supports them I would go SATA.

Also, they look better, all black:

wdfDesktop_SE_JS.jpg

Or you could go with there new Raptor 10,000RPM SATA Clear Cover HDD if you want to get real fancy :

wdfDesktop_SATA_AHFD.jpg