Sign in to follow this  
bazooka302

IP camera viewer software

I'm looking for IP camera software/app for a Windows8 PC to view 6 cameras (Hikvision 3MP) on a home wireless LAN. No need to record video (have a dedicated Dahua NVR for that). I've tried PSS and iVMS-4200 and found they take a long time for the programs to open. Don't want to keep the program running all the time and bog down the wireless network or the computer. I want something my wife can use when she's working in her home office, the doorbell rings or she hears something outside, and she can open a program with one click and see the cameras within say 5 seconds. Viewing all feeds in extra stream is OK with the ability to view a single camera at a time full resolution. Doing a Google search offers many options, just looking for some first hand experiences and recommendations. Tried a bunch of apps for our iPhones and LiveCams Pro the best and quickest to load the cameras, so hopefully there's something like it for the PC.

Thanks,

Joe

I set up something like this for my wife in her home office, and after trying a few things like old laptops, Blue Iris client viewer, and such, I ended up with a tablet.

I got a Galaxy Tab 2 10" tablet (which wasn't too expensive since it's last gen, but has decent resolution), and a cradle. I loaded IP Cam Viewer Free (which supports 6 cams), and she leaves it on all the time while she's working so it's easy to keep an eye on. Even when it's off, a button push and swipe brings it back up within a few seconds. Power use is pretty low.

The only downside is that it sometimes shuts down and goes back to the ip cam config screen. I haven't spent any time on that yet.

Did the computer that you were testing it on have a solid state hard drive? A SSD hard drive can make the world of a difference when loading programs.

I just tested iVMS-4200 on my i7 laptop with 8GB of RAM and 1TB traditional hard drive 23 seconds to load

iVMS on my Dell i5 Desktop with 2GB of RAM and 120GB Solid State hard drive 13 seconds to load

Tablets, as mentioned above, already have Flash storage drives already installed, most desktops/laptops use traditional spinning disk drives, unless you order or build one with a SSD drive (costs more/less space/more $$$ per GB)