irishlad

dvr for ip cameras

hello everyone, i am new to the world of cctv so not clear on some parts, but i am a qualified electrician so i ament too lost on most of it. my plan was to install 2 new ip outdoor cameras and connect them to the router using a powerline adapter. (so far so good) but for the dvr, is it just the one ethernet cable i need to run to my router to allow me to record the cameras, or are they intended to have the cameras connected directly to them via coax then to the router for internet connection, remote viewing etc

and if my dvr can use the ethernet as a video input from the cameras, is it possible to connect an old camera ran to the dvr with a coax cable or would they all have to be through the router.

hopefully i made that clear enough...

thanks for any help,

Irishlad

You may need a hybrid DVR that can record analog cameras with coax connections and IP cameras that will connect through the one network cable connected to the router/switch. I have had good luck for many years with Aver 4, 8 and 16 channel EH series DVR's They are reasonable for what you get price wise. Not all cameras can connect so Aver has a list of cameras that work. Also many are ONVIF compliant and will work that way but it's not basic networking to set up.

ok, and say if i was to get rid of the old camera to keep the system simple(ish) and just use a nvr. i was looking at nvr's and they have several lan ports im guessing one per camera... so im wondering how it would work since it is all going through my router?

sorry, i started reading the manual for the hybred dvr's you recommended and its pretty clear now. seems like a pretty user friendly system