Sign in to follow this  
Numb-nuts

New generation of Field test monitors

Well it happened, my current field test monitor / CCTV test unit finally started to play-up to the point I couldn't use it reliably anymore.

I am beginning to suspect the battery is faulty.

SO that coupled with the fact that I am attending a IP CCTV training course next month at the Norbain Academy, made me decide to buy one of the new generation of CCTV field Test monitors. MY one has the usual 3.5" monitor display, PTZ analyzer/controller and test card generator, and multimeter and in addition it now has the added bonus of SD Card record video sand still images from the camera. It also has a tone generator and tracer and display zoom upto 10 times (not sure yet what practical use this would be).

It also now has video signal level test, Ping Tester, Port flicker, POE tester.

There are other models but I can't see myself requiring Optical power meter or TDR (which I believe means Time Domain Reflectometer) and visual Fiber tester all of which I think have to do with fiber optic use. I have never used Fiber Optic yet so I think these for me at least would be unnecessary. If I ever do I will call in a contractor. I don't think I know enough about this skill.

Most useful in my opinion is the addition of still image and video capture to both keep a record and to show a client the views from cameras and the presets on PTZ cameras. The additional IP features I can't judge as yet as I am not IP trained but I am hoping they too will be invaluable tools.

I don't think I would ever buy a field test unit without multimeter which has been so useful over the years for fault finding.

It is larger which is a big of a culture shock but no doubt I'll adapt to that soon enough. It works on a menu system, mine came without an instruction book but I have asked them to send me that, it's the obvious way to learn how to get the best out of the unit.

Oh yes I forgot, some clever designer included a LED torch into the unit also. I can remember many times an extra torch would have been rather handy. All in all I am very pleased so far and imagine this untit will be of equal usefulness to me in the coming years. If it last as long as my previous one has, I will be very contented,

243649_1.1

Model HVT2603

That is a useful tester for IP stuff, but you will almost certainly not be able to see images from IP cameras thru this tool. Generally what I use it this:

http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ip-camera-installation-tools/pointsource.aspx

243656_1.png

For aiming, this little do-dad is quite handy too but you can do it a few different ways. Either way you need a laptop or a tablet with an ethernet port. Windows tablets seem to be the most prolific.

http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ip-camera-installation-tools/pinpoint.aspx

243656_2.png

Well I have seen these items plus an inline voltmeter reader for POE, but frankly I haven't had the knowledge to know what to buy, this new device has all that my previous tester had, plus a few extras that will obviously help with IP work although to what degree I have yet to discover. What amazes me is that the designers of these new cameras haven't all added an analogue port to all the cameras to allow for camera positioning. If my last tester hadn't started to play-up, I would have waited until after the training course. Now I can order a replacement battery without panicking about not having anything to position cameras with.

How would those 'shyteforbrains' designers like to climb a ladder clutching at their tablet or laptop while trying to hang onto a ladder for their life and in the rain and wind? Not to mention holding tools like allen wrenches spanners etc. Like to see them climbing ladders with that lot under their arm. It's up and down the ladder time again or walkie-talkie time again. OVER !

Oh well HD SDI is starting to look attractive now. end of rant...

Well it happened, my current field test monitor / CCTV test unit finally started to play-up to the point I couldn't use it reliably anymore.

I am beginning to suspect the battery is faulty.

SO that coupled with the fact that I am attending a IP CCTV training course next month at the Norbain Academy, made me decide to buy one of the new generation of CCTV field Test monitors. MY one has the usual 3.5" monitor display, PTZ analyzer/controller and test card generator, and multimeter and in addition it now has the added bonus of SD Card record video sand still images from the camera. It also has a tone generator and tracer and display zoom upto 10 times (not sure yet what practical use this would be).

It also now has video signal level test, Ping Tester, Port flicker, POE tester.

There are other models but I can't see myself requiring Optical power meter or TDR (which I believe means Time Domain Reflectometer) and visual Fiber tester all of which I think have to do with fiber optic use. I have never used Fiber Optic yet so I think these for me at least would be unnecessary. If I ever do I will call in a contractor. I don't think I know enough about this skill.

Most useful in my opinion is the addition of still image and video capture to both keep a record and to show a client the views from cameras and the presets on PTZ cameras. The additional IP features I can't judge as yet as I am not IP trained but I am hoping they too will be invaluable tools.

I don't think I would ever buy a field test unit without multimeter which has been so useful over the years for fault finding.

It is larger which is a big of a culture shock but no doubt I'll adapt to that soon enough. It works on a menu system, mine came without an instruction book but I have asked them to send me that, it's the obvious way to learn how to get the best out of the unit.

Oh yes I forgot, some clever designer included a LED torch into the unit also. I can remember many times an extra torch would have been rather handy. All in all I am very pleased so far and imagine this untit will be of equal usefulness to me in the coming years. If it last as long as my previous one has, I will be very contented,

243649_1.1

Model HVT2603

Trouble is the old "all your eggs in one basket" scenario

Thats a fair comment, I found out that when my original meter started to play up I was virtually up the river without a paddle however I had to buy a field test monitor anyway and I knew I was going to be doing the IP training so some sort of upgrade in that direction was on the cards. The only other device that appealed to me is way out of my price range, that 7 inch hybrid test field monitor supplied by Genie.

243823_1.jpg

Genie CCTV's SDI07HY Circa £1000 - £1200 GULP!