Sign in to follow this  
BrownChiLD

Setting up 5MP Fisheye cameras x 5, on a budget! :(

Hi guys

So my current project requires me to setup 5 units of 5MP Fisheye cameras at a budget ..

I decided to go w/ Vivotek FE8174V cameras as they have Backup to NAS capabilities

I am a bit worried about the PERFORMANCE and STORAGE REQUIREMENTS because, the Camera costs ate most of the budget and leaves very little for the rest of the system

I don't need any FANCY analytics and other VMS/NVRs.. i just need a way to SAVE the recorded videos, and allow for security guard to view the de-warped streams on the fly..

I understand that the Vivotek does this de-warping via IE.. basically work is being offloaded to the client PC/BRowser via OCX..

but

1) Can a standard computer run 5 IE windows, each dewarping? or will it require a beast of a computer?

also since customer wants this recording at full 5MP , with motion detection triggereing for a total of 8hours/day at least.. I think that 2TB HDD allocation i have for the system wont last a week, or will it?

Anyway, im looking to this community for help/advises..

my idea to cut costs is use a simple NAS that is compatible w/ it.. just for recording..

then setup a computer for the Security guard for the live viewing/monitoring..

should the guard want to review a footage the he can grab the file off the NAS based on date and play it back.. it's pretty crude but i think it saves $$$.

or.. perhaps i can invest a bit on a good NVR / VMS software (3rd party perhaps) and setup a quadcore i7 pc for RECORDING and VIEWING... but im unsure if the 5 cameras running 5MP will be handled nicely.. i've not seen this many fisheye cameras deployed on 1 system/network.. hence im a bit worried lol

Hoping for some insights,

REgards

If you are using motion to record and there isn't a ton of activity I am betting you can get 2 weeks out of that drive, but I would sure as hell not be using a single hard drive to record video for a security guard. At an absolute minimum I would have a RAID 1 array to provide redundancy.

Download ST7501 from the Vivotek site. It's free. The package has three main components: recording server, live viewer, playback.

Install the recording server on a low-end Windows box with plenty of storage and a decent NIC. Your concerns here will be bandwidth and I/O throughput (hard drive(s)). The recording server does not decode, just records and (optionally) streams.

Install the live view and playback components on a dedicated desktop with sufficient processing power and a passable (DXVA2) PCIe video card. The F8174V can put out 15 fps at 1920x1920 or 30 fps at 1920x1080, according to the specs. I can't really help with CPU requirements for live playback - for what it's worth, an AMD Athlon II X4 645 can run ST7501 live view with three cameras streaming 1280x800 @ 15 FPS and a fourth streaming 1280x720 @ 60 FPS without breaking a sweat. The same machine can be used for playback with live view running in the background.

Download ST7501 from the Vivotek site. It's free. The package has three main components: recording server, live viewer, playback.

Install the recording server on a low-end Windows box with plenty of storage and a decent NIC. Your concerns here will be bandwidth and I/O throughput (hard drive(s)). The recording server does not decode, just records and (optionally) streams.

Install the live view and playback components on a dedicated desktop with sufficient processing power and a passable (DXVA2) PCIe video card. The F8174V can put out 15 fps at 1920x1920 or 30 fps at 1920x1080, according to the specs. I can't really help with CPU requirements for live playback - for what it's worth, an AMD Athlon II X4 645 can run ST7501 live view with three cameras streaming 1280x800 @ 15 FPS and a fourth streaming 1280x720 @ 60 FPS without breaking a sweat. The same machine can be used for playback with live view running in the background.

Your information, sir, is GOLD!

Thanks so much!

Can't help but notice, you have 1 post count at the time of your kind reply to my post... Gives me an impression that you setup an account just to reply to my query? If so, you remind me of the early days of WEB Forums and Communities, where "majority" of users/members really take the time and effort to help and interact.

Thank you once again, much appreciated!

Hi guys, this is Jojo from Panoview, IP wireless Megapixel fisheye camera supplier in China. After read all the information, I would like to introduce our advantage of fisheye: 1. WDR function, the chip is with WDR function to avoid light exposure issue; 2. NVR optional, which means you can use our fisheye camera with NVR or without, because the software we offer can work as NVR, and a lot of functions can be done through the software except storage. If you think the NVR is too expensive to store the image, then you can use PC directly to save the image. Our fisheye camera can be connected directly with PC for storage.

If possible, I woule like to send you more info.

Thanks.