Sign in to follow this  
carboy400

Suggestions on router and camera set up

I am working on a system for a family member that includes (2) Samsung SNC-B5399 dome cameras and a Cisco RV110W router. My system needs are pretty basic, F.Y.I. I have been doing various low voltage installations for the past 15 years including CCTV. I never really had the opportunity to a lot of the system set-up. The information I need is how best to set up the router and cameras to provide the best video quality and security. I can get the cameras to work but the video is choppy and I don't want to have to make a bunch or return visits. Basic router set-up is done what I have not done is set up a VPN or the remote address for these cameras to be viewed offsite. Is a VPN the best set-up or even needed? I see the cameras provide a RTSP stream (and various others) but I don't know what would work best here. As I said earlier I can get them to work but the video is choppy, not smooth like I'm used to or like I saw on the example videos. I know something is getting in the way here. Also can someone provide the best camera internal settings? Lastly I need a way to record alerts. She wants it to record offsite when someone comes to the back door and email her a quick video file. I read that there is some feature on these cameras that allows you to do that. Is there a free or software based DVR that would work well here? Is going with a cloud based DVR good or safe?

I'm sure there will may more questions to ask but I think this could get me off the ground.

Thanks ahead of time

Carboy

Too many questions you need to pay an expert or break them up in smaller questions with more information provided for reach.

One thing i learned asking questions on forums is: the more work you do /more info you provide when asking the question the less work responder needs to do to give you an answer, giving greater chance to get a response.

Routers don't affect signal speed or quality, but you might want to reboot router. Paying 3rd party VPN host to improve speed in most cases is overkill.

Are cameras set up on WiFi or wired?

What is the internet connection speed try doing speedtest.net ?

Did you try to see videos stream over internet or local area network?