Sign in to follow this  
martyf79

BIG TIME NEWBIE ... Need some help/direction...

Hi All -

I've been looking to install an 8CH IP Camera system to NVR for a while, and I've decided to go the HikVision route (seems like they have the best quality for the price).

I've been leaning towards ordering my equipment via the following AliExpress store (based on review from other forum go-er's, they seem reputable).

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/HD-IP-Camera/904067_210554073.html

In terms of equipment -

Leaning towards the HikVision DS-7616NI-SP

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DS-7616NI-SP-Hikvision-NVR-w-OEM-Plug-Play-w-8-PoE-network-interface-2-SATA/904067_1358403234.html

Really looking for an 8CH POE + expansion for future cameras if need be. Question I have is, how do you attach additional cameras if there are only 8 inputs? Do you connect a router/splitter to it?

Also, I see that there is an "alarm out". Can I in theory use the cameras as outdoor motion sensors hooked up to my DSC alarm panel to trigger an event (i.e. to turn on lights outside)?

Last question on the NVR - do these come in multi-language capability (i.e. English)?

RE: Cameras -

Looking to order the following cameras:

Several DS-2CD2232-I5

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DS-2CD2232-I5-Hikvision-camera-Network-IP-camera-3MP-EXIR-Bullet-Camera-w-POE-3D-DNR/904067_1532360831.html

Thoughts on camera? I will be using them in areas to cover 30-40ft. What lens is ideal for this application (4, 6, or 12 mm)?

Otehr cameras I'm considering for (entrance ways - tight quarters), are:

DS-2CD2732F-IS. Thoughts on this camera? ANyone using it?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DS-2CD2732F-I-S-Hikvision-camera-Network-IP-camera-variofocus-3MP-dome-Camera-w-3D-DNR/904067_1322946981.html

Final question on software.

I'm assuming the defualt software within the NVR is all I would use (and would be able to connect remotely) via ethernet. Thoughts on the OEM software?

In terms of smartphone application (i.e. iPhone), what would everyone recommend?

Appreciate everyone's help (and I realize that I have a lot of questions).

Looking to contribute once I know what I'm talking about

Martin

Newbe myself but, for lens bandwidth and camera placement take a look at IP Video System design Tools jvsg dot com. They have a 30 day trial and it really opened my eyes regarding Camera placement, resolution, lens, and bandwidth. Its a bit pricey for the home guy but you get 30 days to setup your plan.

I captured an overhead pic from Google of the house, inserted as a background and could view the effectiveness of various cameras and setups.

Really nice tool.

I cannot comment on the cameras though I've heard good things on Hikvision. Stay with the 3mp if you want a chance at forensic identification, nighttime is the rough part unless you use external lighting.

My 2cents

Newbe myself but, for lens bandwidth and camera placement take a look at IP Video System design Tools jvsg dot com. They have a 30 day trial and it really opened my eyes regarding Camera placement, resolution, lens, and bandwidth. Its a bit pricey for the home guy but you get 30 days to setup your plan.

I captured an overhead pic from Google of the house, inserted as a background and could view the effectiveness of various cameras and setups.

Really nice tool.

I cannot comment on the cameras though I've heard good things on Hikvision. Stay with the 3mp if you want a chance at forensic identification, nighttime is the rough part unless you use external lighting.

My 2cents

Thanks atcsam ... I'll give that a try.

Really looking for an 8CH POE + expansion for future cameras if need be. Question I have is, how do you attach additional cameras if there are only 8 inputs? Do you connect a router/splitter to it?

Dedicated NVRs generally won't support more cameras than the model supports when you buy it. That is, an 8 channel NVR will only support 8 cams, no matter how many you have connected to your network. This is a firmware limitation, though bandwidth limitations are sometimes built in as well.

In theory, you only need a single network connection for all the cams it supports. A PC based system will only have a single connection, regardless of how many cams are connected to the POE switch. Dedicated NVRs may or may not require each cam to be plugged into their dedicated ports.

Dedicated NVRs generally won't support more cameras than the model supports when you buy it. That is, an 8 channel NVR will only support 8 cams, no matter how many you have connected to your network. This is a firmware limitation, though bandwidth limitations are sometimes built in as well.

In theory, you only need a single network connection for all the cams it supports. A PC based system will only have a single connection, regardless of how many cams are connected to the POE switch. Dedicated NVRs may or may not require each cam to be plugged into their dedicated ports.

Sorry... I'm a bit confused. This NVR is a 16 input NVR, but only has 8 POE inputs (I've also seen 8 input NVRs w 4 POE inputs). These NVRs have more expansion capacity then the number of POEs, I just don't know how you connect more cameras to them. I think I've seen POE switches... Or am I wrong on this? Pls click on the link for the nVR and tell me if I have this incorrectly.

These NVRs have more expansion capacity then the number of POEs, I just don't know how you connect more cameras to them. I think I've seen POE switches... Or am I wrong on this? Pls click on the link for the nVR and tell me if I have this incorrectly.

You're right, you can purchase an additional POE switch and link them up with a hub / router.

I picked up a Hikvision 2CD-2032 not too long ago and love everything about it. I was really impressed with the video quality as well as the included iVMS software and built-in camera firmware. I'm in the market for another camera and am eying up the 2CD2332 you listed in your original post.

I have no experience with an actual NVR as I use my iMac with the Security Spy app for video recording and storage.

As far as lens size, I think you're probably going to be looking for the 4MM which seems to be the standard for outdoor home security. All conditional and relative to where you're placing the camera and what you're focusing on. I can't get a good shot of someone's license plate from 30' away with my 4MM which is why my next camera will either be a 6MM or 8MM (most likely 6MM).

Hope this helps somewhat.

These NVRs have more expansion capacity then the number of POEs, I just don't know how you connect more cameras to them. I think I've seen POE switches... Or am I wrong on this? Pls click on the link for the nVR and tell me if I have this incorrectly.

You're right, you can purchase an additional POE switch and link them up with a hub / router.

I picked up a Hikvision 2CD-2032 not too long ago and love everything about it. I was really impressed with the video quality as well as the included iVMS software and built-in camera firmware. I'm in the market for another camera and am eying up the 2CD2332 you listed in your original post.

I have no experience with an actual NVR as I use my iMac with the Security Spy app for video recording and storage.

As far as lens size, I think you're probably going to be looking for the 4MM which seems to be the standard for outdoor home security. All conditional and relative to where you're placing the camera and what you're focusing on. I can't get a good shot of someone's license plate from 30' away with my 4MM which is why my next camera will either be a 6MM or 8MM (most likely 6MM).

Hope this helps somewhat.

It does.. thanks madcowlx. Are you able to recco a POE switch? Sorry, just not sure what exactly I would need and how to connect it to the NVR.