berserkr

Question regarding simple 1 camera setup - Powerline + POE?

Hello, new here, hoping someone can help me out. I'm looking to install a single camera above my garage and I want to do it in the simplest, most effective way possible. My concerns are:

1. No way to run CAT5 to the router. I have a power outlet inside the garage, so I was considering running a POE camera (probably a Dahua 2mp or 3mp), and using a Powerline adaptor + POE injector. Any concerns here?

2. Recording and remote viewing. I want to record obviously, either motion activated, or more likely continuous on a 2 week cycle that overwrites the oldest data once I hit capacity. I don't have space on my desktop HD and don't want to build a dedicated machine. I do have a few spare external HDDs. Is there a simple solution (software maybe) that will allow me to record to the HDD (preferably plugged directly to the router, alternatively to the desktop) and enable remote viewing? If the HDD is not an option, what is the next best alternative, keeping in mind budget and ease of use?

If you already have wi-fi setup at your house, the easiest way with a single camera would be to make it wireless using something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-PC-Laptop-XBOX-PlayStation-etc/dp/B008CV8ST4

You just position that in the garage in a spot that has a good strong signal to your home router and you are good to go.

Here is a very basic drawing of how that would work:

wifi-camera.png.e3e93f81badcbe5f8eb3899aceb508b8.png

Thanks for the reply, and the diagram! Question though: that setup would save about $25 over the Powerline setup, and it seems like wired > wireless for reliability, no?

Any thoughts on the capture/remote viewing?

I am just not a huge fan of power line networking, but that is just personal preference. As far as reliability goes, if you can get a signal strength of -60 or stronger (closer to zero is better) I would have no worries about reliability with a wireless link.