Sign in to follow this  
jmerchant

moisture damage

The company that i work for has recently started to install security cameras and we have had 3-4 of have moisture in them. One of them was just full of water but was under the ledge of a roof and filled with water, and a couple others have had moisture. We have tried silicone, tephlon tape, waterproof seals. So my question is, what is the most effective way to waterproof a camera?

are these camera externally rated if so what ip rating have they got, id be speaking to manufacturer about this issue as its obvious that there is a problem with the way the camera seals the weather out,

It is an outdoor rated camera it is an ip66 rated camera and its operating temp is -40°F ~ 122°F. We have returned them and notified them about the issue. Now is there any way that you recommend to seal the camera?

Before IP66 bullet cameras became readily available most outdoor installations were with box cameras housed in IP66 enclosures. A common version was a wedge shaped enclosure that fixed directly under an eve or awning. The cable entered through the top of the housing( the face that attached to the awning ) This was good in theory until your guttering overflowed into the eve, and the water dropped through the cable entry into the enclosure. I used to drill a small weep hole in the lowest point of the enclosure & had many many arguements because of it. The thing to remember is that something only retains its IP66 rating until you penetrate it for cable entry. Always put a weep hole in at the lowest point.