Sign in to follow this  
glasssplinter

Pelco DX8016

Keep the unit or upgrade?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Keep the unit or upgrade?

• Keep the Pelco DX8016
    • Upgrade to a newer model

Had some questions about an older Pelco unit that I picked up and plan on installing for my home system. Currently I have a small 4 channel system that is working okay with a replaced power supply but I wanted to expand and was able to get a Pelco DX8016 with no drives. After some support calls, which by the way Pelco was awesome with, I was able to get the software and reinstall everything. I currently upgraded the memory to 768 mb and installed a different video card since the original was bad. Working on installing a 3TB drive into it for all of the storage, more of that to come though. My big question on this unit though is it worth it anymore? What advantages does this unit being 7+ years old have over the newer compact units? I'm mainly looking at the residential models (all in one units) since I'll never be able to afford a newer Pelco unit. I'm happy enough with the analog quality and don't see going to any IP setup for years. Thanks for the input!

The only real advantage to a unit like that would be higher frame rates across all channels and an interface that is easier to understand. In some of the lower end models the interface and naming conventions used don't always make a lot of sense since the programmers are not native English speakers. If you are happy with it then what else matters?

Thanks for the input. I guess I'm a little confused by the higher frame rate since I can only get 5 or 7 ips from each channel at 720x480 resolution. If I were to record at CIF I could get 480 ips (30 per channel) but once you bump up the resolution it dramatically drops.

My biggest question in terms of analog cameras was if the technology has advanced enough that say a unit like the DX8000 is surpassed by today's cheaper boxes due to drastic technological advancements. Thanks again for the input!

Well, I have multiple DX8100 systems deployed to customers right now, but these are all Federal Gov't folks. Honestly, for small business or home use you don't need a system like that. They are made for rack-mounting and the ability tro run sort of like a computer. You can hook a keyboard and mouse to it (cheaper DVR's are mouse only) you can have extra alarm inputs/ outputs or different options for PTZ handling, but in general a DVR is a DVR. The thing I look for in these (both DVR's and NVR's) is how the user interface works. Does it makes sense to you? Do you like the layout? Can you export directly to a DVD or do you need a flash drive? So if you can find screen shots online or find a place that might let you play with their gear, it is worth the shopping time to get one you will be happy with.

Thanks for the input, at least I know it's not a totally outdated system. I've already got the unit and just need to acquire more cameras, get the cable and conduit setup and we'll be good to go. My main concern was just making sure the unit was still relevant. I've played with the interface and makes enough sense that I'll be able to get by with it and already used the USB for exporting video.

Still evaluating if I want to connect to the network or not due to vulnerabilities. Are these units running a modified Windows 2000 or is it just the Pelco software installed over an original distribution of W2K?

The plan is to use a wireless keyboard / mouse combo on it and have it in another room, then run a VGA cable under the house to our TV.

Storage was my main concern on this unit since it uses the outdated IDE interface but after tonight I believe I'll have that bypassed and a SATA drive installed.

Now I have to weigh the power cost of the unit and see if it is justifiable. Already tried replacing the entire motherboard, power supply, CPU, video, and memory to save on power but no go on it. The software wouldn't work with an AMD setup from the original disc. Tried installing drivers but something with the Pelco software didn't like it. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Any luck deviating from the original MB setup? The P4's were little furnaces and it would be awesome to upgrade to a C2D or even an AMD A1 setup with a lower TDP. Thanks!

I think my 8100's actually run XP Embedded which is entirely different from regular consumer grade XP and it is still supported for a while longer, since about 80% of the ATM's in the USA are using it.

How were you able to get sata drives to work with a dx8000? I added a sata drive and windows can use it but the dx8000 does not see it to allocate it.

Sata drives can be used with the DX8000 but require an adapter card (IDE to SATA). Since this configuration will not permit installing the cover, as the connectors stick up to high, we mount the SATA drive on a plastic 5 1/4" tray underneath the DVD. We have found that this setup is not real happy with Seagate drives but works well with Toshiba or WD. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the sysem will not work with drives larger that 2TB. The last few units we have built used a smaller IDE boot drive. Hope this helps.

Once the system boots you must go back to Windows to partition and format the SATA drive. Then go back to DX8000 and allocate.