Sign in to follow this  
misterbones

newbie help regarding good dvr/internet access service

Hi folks,

My wife has a small business with 4 cameras and a Lorex DVR. Internet access to the dvr and camera has been painfully available to an extent. Recently, something happened and the dvr is now inaccessible. It's difficult for me to fix it because the business is in another state...I could probably get it up and running if I was back there. I basically have come to hate Lorex...our support is no longer free and I was considering getting a new DVR (keep the old cameras in place) in order to try a different company with better internet service and support...Does that make sense? What is the best company for Internet access to your cameras and your DVR'ed stuff? Should I go PC? Basically, I'm looking for 1. a reliable internet connection to camera, 2. a system that is relatively pain-free once set up (doesn't require manual input if system reboots, etc.), 3. Something that will work well with me being at a distance (guess that's related to the first 2). I've tried doing research, but it looks like all the entry level surveillance camera/dvr services are the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I think the PC is the best choice for the internet access because the if you have a slow internet speed then the PC is a better source through which you can access easily and in a better way and one thing more that you can easily check your internet speed through speedtestfree.com. Thanks

Hi,

You are combining two different question into one, and most end user get this confusion between network settings.

The majority of the company wont help your with extensive network configuration, so even if your get the top notch speed you are bound to

have problems if the ports are not open on the router.

1- Speed, Yes you do required a good Upload(DVR Side) You are uploading to your location, you are not downloading, so keep that in mind.

2- You required a DVR that has network configuration build in, have seen some but right now im not working with any brand. So maybe someone else can shed light.

Even if you do get any DVR, Opening the port is mainly a configuration that always falls on the user side. Finding company that do provide a more general help or talking

to the right technician to get you setup would avoid the whole network ordeal.

Also, Please do not get confuse with what is Dynamic address as well. a separate question that you did not ask , and might as well give you pointer.

Once your get your Internet service provider, i don't think you would pay the probably $20 fee for a static address (Ip address that wont change) This might be your problem. So you might end up with dynamic Ip Address for your internet provider an Ip address that those change.

Recommendation, Make sure the DVR provides DDNS services included, it those help or you would end up using a 3rd party company like Dyndns.com or no-ip.com they cost around $20-$30 a year and with the proper setup in your router or DVR you could avoid the monthly Static IP bill from your Internet provider.

Those company are more personal, meaning you create an account an what is call a Hostname (www.mydvr.dyndns.com ) it will take care of your changing of address.

you would set that account on your router and fix the change of address. You would only have to worry about the port number the DVR is using. Example port 88

You would type in www.mydvr.dyndns.com:88

This last pointer is what most, all end user have problem understanding.

I do hope this help , Just my 2 Cents.