jgkurz

Cannot access Swann DVR from WAN.

Hi All,

I purchased a Swann kit that includes 2x wireless cameras and a 7" screen/DVR station. The p/n is SWNVW-470KIT. The system meets my clients needs except that I cannot get remote access working. I understand NAT and port forwarding fairly well but cannot seem to get this Swann system to connect over the WAN. The system works fine on the internal LAN. The router log shows the forward is occurring so the DVR seems to be the issue. As a test, I even tried a port that was forwarded successfully for a different device but the Swann DVR station still would not respond through the WAN. I called Swann and their first level support is polite and tries to help but their english is poor so I have a hard time understanding.

The Swann DVR has a media port which is 9000 and an http port which is 85 by default. I have forwarded both TCP and UDP to the static IP of my DVR. I also put my DVR IP in the DMZ as another troubleshooting step. In every case the DVR works perfectly on the LAN. When trying to access over the WAN I am using the WAN IP not DDNS. I am able to connect to other unrelated devices that are forwarded so I know my router and WAN address are working properly.

Before I take back the system is there anything else I can try?

Thank you in advance for your help.

-John

I very much doubt there's a problem with the kit if you can get access via lan and not wan.

If you have UPnP (universal plug and play) enabled for your dvr and router it will setup port forwarding for you.

It looks like UPnP enable is the default setting in your Swann software menu, see if you have the option to enable UPnP in your port forwarding setup in your router settings and it should setup the port fowarding automatically.

I very much doubt there's a problem with the kit if you can get access via lan and not wan.

If you have UPnP (universal plug and play) enabled for your dvr and router it will setup port forwarding for you.

It looks like UPnP enable is the default setting in your Swann software menu, see if you have the option to enable UPnP in your port forwarding setup in your router settings and it should setup the port fowarding automatically.

I have tried it with PnP on in both the Swann and router and then off. Currently it is off. I manually port forwarded port 85 and 9000 for TCP and UDP and still it fails from the WAN. I have a couple other Cisco cameras port forwarded that work fine from the WAN so I wouldn't think its the router but until the issue is resolved I can't be sure. I am out of ideas. I work in IT and know my way around a router. This one just flat stumps me.

I got it working. I had to restore the default configuration then turn off PnP. The issue was that the IP address of the station was changing when going from Ethernet to Wifi even when the settings were applied.