darrenkarp

Geovision and camera position...advice seeked

Hi All,

I have a couple of newbie questions:

1. One of my cameras is sitting about 2 feet above the boiler vent on the outside wall and will constantly triggers Geovision to record as the steam creates movement. Although I've reduced the sensitivity it still occurs.

Has anyone come across this before and is there any remedy apart from moving the camera?

2. Although I have two cameras so far setup I really could do with some advice as to additional camera placement. Is there a guide somewhere which gives pointers as to good and bad places to mount cameras in a residential dwelling?

Many thanks

Darren

Hi there.

The Geovision software will detect anything at all that moves. including steam, shadows or anything else of the sort. Sometimes, there is no way to fix this through sensetivity settings and still remain satisfactory.

However, If you go into the main configuration of the GV software you will find that each camera can have areas masked out and set not to trip the motion detection recording. It is fairly intuative and works quite well for small areas or to the edges of the viewing area. If you are getting the steam showing up in more than 50% of the camera's viewing angle I would recommend repositioning the camera or moving to another location altogether.

Play around with the mask a bit and you might just have your answer.

Edit for question #2 - I would have posted an answer but, I will just say this. I know your pain. Good luck finding any decent resources. I have been Googling "CCTV" for years now and info is sparce. Take a long hard look before you install is about all I can tell you.

Hope this helps.

Wet

Always run extra cable and leave it in the attic or somewhere else, incase you have to extend/move it.

Never make it permenant until you are satisfied with the location, or you are certain it is the correct location on installation.

Make sure there are no trees or bushes within close range of the camera view.

Dont mount it too high, and dont mount it too low - average 8-12'. You will need to clean it alot if it is outdoors so keep that in mind.

Dont mount it where it can get knocked or vandalised easily, or use a vandal camera housing such as a vandal dome.

Unless it is certified as WaterProof, dont mount it where it can get direct rain or other water.

Dont mount it right next to high voltage.

Dont mount it with any outdoor lighting within close range of the image.

If its a very dark location use at least a camera that is BW or switches to BW, use some IR (with BW cameras), or use outdoor lighting to illuminate the area.

All i cant think of for now, never had the steam problem down here ..

Rory