Sign in to follow this  
wrytous

What order to do conduit install steps

Question: if I'm doing a horizontal conduit run to a camera, in what order do I perform the following:

• Rigid conduit assembly (e.g., affixing contiguous 10' lengths to one another, attaching 90 degree turns, etc.)
  • Conduit installation into masonry with 2 hole straps
  • Fish tape to pull Cat5 cable

For example, should I start to affix section by section to the wall, then attach contiguous sections and attach those, then run fish tape down partial length (heading TOWARD camera)?

Am I making any sense here? ;-P

Thanks,

-S. in VA

One section at a time! You get it mounted, level, and solid then add the next one. If you are using one hole straps it is always wise to put the screw mount below the conduit, with two hole straps it doesn't really matter. You must have a strap within 3 feet of any box or device (by code) and then a maximum of every ten feet after that. I usually go about 6-8 feet (depends on the wall).

To get it mounted I will set the piece on the wall with the straps dangling from it to see where I want the straps to be, mark my spots, drill the holes, and insert the screw/strap very loosely. Set the conduit in the strap and tighten it. Depending on the type of strap, it may not hold the conduit tightly, it is just a support.

You can also feed pull string thru the pipe as you mount it, then once the conduit is in place you attach the wires and give it a tug. If you do go that route... ALWAYS pull a new pull string along with your wires so you have it for later if you need it.

This may help: http://www.familyhandyman.com/electrical/wiring/how-to-install-surface-mounted-wiring-and-conduit/step-by-step