jaskarn

ACTi IR Cameras around the house- E84 vs E74A vs E86

I'm looking at installing 8 Dome IR cameras around the house. ACTi seems to have the right cameras t good prices but I'm really confused about which one to get!

Low light performance is crucial as there are a lot of areas with little or no light.

After looking at some of the reviews I'm a bit concerned about the bright ring of light when the IR is on at night

Does anyone have any experience with these cameras?

Any help or recommendations appreciated! Thanks in advance

The low light performance to me is not that much different between the 2MP and 3MP versions. The better "WDR" from say an E72 to an E84 does not translate to better WDR from what I can see. I did my reviews a while back on the E84, E44, E74, E32 so you can compare.

I think the new stuff coming out later this year will be much better, but it's a waiting game. Also, they are introducing motorized focus/varifocal for about a $50-75 premium if that's of interest to you and that should be coming soon.

Also, be careful when buying ACTi online. They have gotten more aggressive recently in going after resellers that display discounted pricing online by not honoring warranties if you buy from the resellers on their sh*t list. They were not as vocal about it before, but recently there's been a strong push.

The low light performance to me is not that much different between the 2MP and 3MP versions. The better "WDR" from say an E72 to an E84 does not translate to better WDR from what I can see. I did my reviews a while back on the E84, E44, E74, E32 so you can compare.

I think the new stuff coming out later this year will be much better, but it's a waiting game. Also, they are introducing motorized focus/varifocal for about a $50-75 premium if that's of interest to you and that should be coming soon.

Also, be careful when buying ACTi online. They have gotten more aggressive recently in going after resellers that display discounted pricing online by not honoring warranties if you buy from the resellers on their sh*t list. They were not as vocal about it before, but recently there's been a strong push.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not too worried about the difference in megapixels, its more about the overall clarity of the image especially in low light.

I saw all your reviews and also the one about the KCM-5611 which seems like the best out of the lot. Would you perhaps recommend a combination of KCM-5611s for the driveway and E84s for an overview shot?

I need to install these asap so can't really wait